Where is G-Man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is G-Man?

Hasn't been on in nine or ten days. He's not left the board has he?

Where is G-Man?

As per FB, travelling far and wide in the middle east.

Comment

Where is G-Man?

Yes, will fly out of Cairo tomorrow and go home.

Comment

Where is G-Man?

Has it been okay travelling about and crossing borders etc? The Foreign Office here is advising British tourists not to go to Egypt at the moment!

Comment

Where is G-Man?

I'd not want to drive aimlessly through the deserts of Egypt, but the cities are as safe as any -- as things tend to be when a military dictator rules with the support of the people. In Cairo there are machine-gun armed soldiers manning almost every intersection.

Airport security in Cairo has been jacked up substantially since I was last there 2013.

I'd see greater sense in issuing travel warnings to Paris, where tourists are not only at risk of random terror acts but also from criminals. Twice in three fairly recent visits I've had to shake off characters who were out to rob me/my wife.

Comment

Where is G-Man?

That happened to me in Paris too, at the hands of a shower of little shits near the Rue Foyatier steps in Montmartre. I was lucky to get away unscathed.

Comment

Where is G-Man?

Steps are dangerous places in Paris, it seems. In the first incident, G-Woman and I were sitting on the steps of a church near the Gare du Nord (where we had stored our luggage), looking at a map as we noticed that we were being cased. So we got up and walked away.

One of the guys was shadowing us for a couple of blocks. We lost him by turning around just as a pedestrian light turned green. As he was forced to cross the street he knew that we were on to him. Still, we were very nervous that we were still being shadowed, and decided to have a long drink at the station before making our way to the flat we had booked.

The second time was on steps on Montmartre, when one guy was grabbing my arm as his accomplice moved in on me. They backed off when I became aggressive, though I was afraid that they or their friends might be following me. So I did that changing-direction manoeuvre a couple of times to make sure I wasn't.

Comment

Where is G-Man?

Hmmm....the wife and I are planning a week in Paris this summer. Obviously the potential for problems in Paris is heightened, but these reports have me a bit concerned.

Green Calx and G-Man, what time of day/night were your incidents?

I was last in Paris 25 yrs ago and other than some thug-types looking us over in the Metro I never really worried about my safety. Being young and fitter obviously helped my confidence.

What area would you recommend looking for a flat or hotel? My knowledge of the area is pretty weak.

Comment

Where is G-Man?

In my cases, both incidents happened during the day in crowded areas. So be on guard in touristy places.

On one visit we stayed in Bellville, which is pretty working class/part bohemian. We had to pass a block full of Asian prostitutes and shady-looking indiviuals on the way to the flat we were staying at, but I felt totally safe there.

Good location, too. Plus, it's were Edith Piaf was born, so that appealed to me.

Comment

Where is G-Man?

You also have to be on the lookout for the triplets there.

Comment

Working...
                    X