Ka - boom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ka - boom!

In two hour’s time, exactly one hundred years ago, the German lightning bombardment opened up on the right bank of Meuse opposite Verdun. Right now, thousands of German soldiers were waiting, freezing cold, crammed into huge underground rooms, specially constructed for the attack, which had already been delayed for a week. The battle lasted until December. Nearly 800,000 men were killed, wounded or missing by the end. 75% of French troops on the Western Front were rotated through the battle.

After visiting for my college dissertation in the early 80s, I spent several months helping the anciens combattants association, Ceux Du Verdun, maintain private memorials on the battlefield. I’ve been back many times since. I’ve stepped on shells by accident, fallen through floors in forgotten forts at night, with string tied around my ankle, nearly been killed by a train in a tunnel and walked and walked and walked. Much of the battlefield has been tidied up and made more tourist accessible since then. Places like Fort Souville are now signposted and have marked paths leading to them. But if you ever visit I really recommend just walking away from the main tourist paths and feeling the silence of the place.

I’m not attempting to glorify what happened. Of all people, I understand the essential, tragic pointlessness of the whole battle (although, in a war that could only be won by grinding, industrial attrition, this was where a very significant part of the attrition happened). But the sheer size of the event, and the suffering of ordinary men on both sides should never be forgotten.

It’s an old book, from the early 60’s, but Alastair Horne’s The Price Of Glory is a very readable introduction to the battle.

Cameron really picked a tactful date to suggest that European Union is a purely economic project.

And now that the “debate” will begin to rage in the next few days, some dickhead near you will probably mutter the phrase “cheese - eating surrender monkeys.”

Ka - boom!

Thanks for that post. I would like to visit Verdun one day having driven around the Somme battlefields(and nearly driven over some ordinance myself). From what I have read the Somme was chosen by the French for a major attack to try and relieve the pressure at Verdun.

Comment

Ka - boom!

The slaughterhouse of the world, an indecisive, unspeakable industrial bloodbath at a place of very little strategic importance, with appalling casualties on each side and with next to no gain.

A national altar utilized for the mood and political will of the times. From President Lebrun’s Nov 1938 lament that La Republique’s lack of will and selfishness against a renewed German aggression shamed the sacrifice of Verdun to Minister of Defence Pierre Mesmer’s 1960 lauding of France’s independent force de frappe as showing that the Nation was now worthy of its Verdun war dead to President Mitterand’s plea for closer European Union at the steps of the Ossuary on the 70th anniversary.

Comment

Ka - boom!

So true, Geoffrey. The stark contrast in the way Verdun is remembered by the French in comparison to The Chemin des Dames is remarkable. At Verdun, the many terrible tactical and preparational mistakes are glossed over

The latter was virtually air - brushed out of History by the French until around 20 years ago. Understandable, of course, given the immense fuck - up and the resultant mutinies. But until recently there was very little literature about the battle, and the museum on the crest, although excellent is barely 15 years old.

Incidentally, there are still some incredible grottos there, hewn out the hillside by the Germans, which are virtually undiscovered except by a few local youths. If you're brave, and have a good torch, you can go hundreds of yards in, and still see graffiti left there by the feldgrau.

Comment

Working...
        X