Prague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prague

Off there with the missus in a couple of weeks, for four days. I've been there before, on a stag weekend, but that was about 15 years ago and the place has doubtless changed beyond recognition.

Any ideas or recommendations for things to see or do?

Prague

There's probably something in here.

Comment

Prague

And some in increasingly old things here, here and here. I skipped Malc's weekend trip with the lads...

Comment

Prague

...and have never forgiven yourself.

Comment

Prague

Thanks GO.

Comment

Prague

Thanks for all that CV. I was pickpocketed in Prague last time so I won't be walking around with much money.

Sorry to miss you the other night by the way. I had some work to do that I couldn't get out of.

Comment

Prague

Yeah, the Museum of Communism is well worth a look. I'd have suggested taking the funicular railway as well, but it appears from the website that it's closed until 18th March for renovation.

As far as eating and drinking goes it's pretty easy to get decent food and drink; steer away from the ultra-touristy areas though as it's more expensive (as you might imagine). The Globe Bookstore is worth a look too - the café in the back is nice.

Comment

Prague

The park is the Letna

CV has hit virtually all of what I would have mentioned.

Given her background, Ms Calx might find the rather kitschy Infant Jesus of Prague amusing.

You might consider an ice hockey game. Sparta are currently second in the Extraliga.

Sorry to hear about the pickpockets.

My Prague horror story from the 80s was being stuck on a train behind a loud German of a certain age who was telling his family about all of the "fun" stuff he had gotten up to there during WWII.

Comment

Prague

Beers in the U Kocoura ('Tomcat'), Malostranske Namesti.

The Brit Embassy used to be owned by Mozart's cousin, Wolfie stayed there when in town. His ghost used to haunt the social club bar after hours.

You'll struggle to find the metro station named after longtime Communist head honcho. Gottwaldova.

A number of prominent ex-NI internationals are still banned from the country after an embarrassing incident at Club Nancy during WC 2002 qualifying.

Comment

Prague

My main recollections of Prague (apart from the fact that Pilsner Urquell is pure nectar):

1. The walk up to the castle (something like 200 steps) is pretty daunting. We had a pint at the bottom before setting off. It's worth it, though, and going inside you get to see the actual window through which people were defenestrated.

2. There's a cafe directly opposite the astrological clock that will charge you £5 a pint and £4 a coffee at 10.30 in the morning, but it's worth getting there for then and grabbing front-row tables as the clock does its thing at 11. By the similar one at noon the square is so packed you won't see a thing.

Comment

Prague

This is all great, thanks guys.

Comment

Prague

Try the Garlic and potato soup served in a loaf of bread. man that was good shit!

Comment

Prague

Of course Viktorka Zizkov still play games on Sundays at 10am despite being demoted to 3rd tier. What's not to like?

Comment

Working...
                          X