Lark's throats .. ocelot's nipples ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just had an ostrich burger for dinner. Not the first time I've eaten ostrich, very nice meat, really, although whoever's made this one had put a bit too much pepper in the mix for me.

I've eaten zebra, and kangaroo meat, too, iirc. And I'm going to Finland in May where the national dish is reindeer steak. But I know OTF can beat that.

(No stories about cats, please).

I've had alligator, kangaroo, ostrich, frog's legs and snails.

Comment

Ooh yes, had ostrich steak in South Africa a few months ago, the same day I saw one in the wild for the first time. Absolutely delicious. Went back to the same restaurant a few days later and had springbok. Well, South Africa had just put Wales out of the World Cup.

Oddest thing I've eaten is probably possum burger in New Zealand. They're a terrible invasive pest there, so it's practically conservation in action. Was a bit greasy and didn't taste of very much, to be honest, but I felt I was performing a worthwhile service.

Comment

I finally had some chapulines a couple of months ago - these are Mexican fried grasshoppers. I was expecting to either be utterly repelled, or for them to be the best thing ever. I was a bit disappointed to find them to be decidedly average. Basically, a fairly decent salty bar snack.

Longer ago, North of the Arctic Circle in Norway, I once ate a small piece of whale meat, which probably wins the "things you should never eat" for me. And it's not only outrageous to eat it, it's also utterly foul. It was like the gamiest piece of liver on the planet. Hideous. And I still feel shame for eating it.

I remain disappointed that the only ostrich meat for sale in San Diego is minced/ground, rather than the delicious steaks and fillets that you can get in South Africa. It's delicious and incredibly lean.

Obviously, having spent a fair amount of time in South Africa I've eaten all kinds of game - mostly venison (springbok, wildebeest, kudu, eland, etc), but also warthog. I was once given a small piece of giraffe biltong, but it was rubbish.

Oh, and once in Guyana I tried to eat some labba (I think also called a paca), which is a biggish rodent similar to a capybara. It wasn't bad, but it was basically a bit underwhelming.

Comment

I think we have a winner so far (until BB&F tells us what they do with roadkill badgers in some of the remoter pubs in Wiltshire)

Comment

I had a bison steak the other week.
            It was bloody brilliant

Comment

I ate a supermacs burger once. I may have won all of the prizes here.

Comment

Guinea pig

Comment

In Mumbai we went to an excellent street-meat place and had a rather terrifying sheep brain curry.

I enjoyed the bit I had. My travelling partner was more aggressive and was shitting through the eye of a needle for the next two weeks straight. The high point of this (for me) was crapping his only jeans in the bus station at Kodaikanal and waddling off to our hotel. He didn't know at the time that every car had its full-beams on shining at his disastrous shit-streaked jeans. They were thrown away.

Comment

Glad I finished my dinner before reading this thread.

Bison tastes good in part because most of it is grass-fed free range.

I can't compete with San B, but I've had dog stew in Seoul (not my order, and it didn't taste good), bear meatballs near Montreal, as well as moose and seal in northern Quebec. Jellyfish, chicken feet in Chinese restaurants but never shark fin soup, which might be the most unethical easily accessible animal meal one can get. I also had the spicy Mexican grasshopers at a friend's wedding, they tasted like small shrimp but without the seafood component.

Comment

Deep-fried cockroach in Thailand. It was absolutely disgusting.

Comment

Pigeon, in Egypt. I ended up with food poisoning, though that might have been the salad's fault.

Comment

Carnivores, I don't know.

That said, in my younger days I had bull's testicles.

Make of that what you wish.

Comment

Smallcaps wrote: Pigeon, in Egypt. I ended up with food poisoning, though that might have been the salad's fault.
                            This is akin to someone chucking up after 10 pints of lager and blaming a dirty glass.

Comment

Sat down too hard, did you?

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
                                Originally posted by Smallcaps
                                Pigeon, in Egypt. I ended up with food poisoning, though that might have been the salad's fault.
                                This is akin to someone chucking up after 10 pints of lager and blaming a dirty glass.
                                It depends if the glass was washed in a septic tank or not.

Comment

Comment

Incandenza wrote: Guinea pig
                                    Yes, but what did you eat?

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Smallcaps
                                      Dirty tenth glasses are more common than you might think. I don't throw up, but dirty tenth glasses often furnish me with a splitting headache and a foul mood the following day.

In a bar in Valencia, I was told by the barman that what I was about to eat was bull's testicles, but I think he was having me on. They were just meatballs that he'd found down the back of the fridge, I reckon.

Comment

I've had ostrich and shark meat (not great), as served by my dad at the dinner table. Like most French people though I've never had frog legs, truly the deep-fried Mars bar of French cuisine in terms of perception vs actual consumption.

To be honest I don't really get the compulsion to try weird exotic meats, but then again I'm not much of a food person.

Comment

treibeis wrote: In a bar in Valencia, I was told by the barman that what I was about to eat was bull's testicles, but I think he was having me on.
                                          He was or wasn't talking bollocks?

Comment

One I've always been tantalized by is something called (I think) the Morton Bay Bug, an Australian crustacean that is apparently half crab, half lobster and tastes amazing. I love seafood so want to go to Oz just for that. Unless it's a big wind-up.

Comment

Moreton, I think. I might have had it a few years ago. Don't remember a thing. Sorry.

Comment

It looks just like a smallish lobster to me. I reckon you'll be dead disappointed of you go all that way just for that.

(It is Moreton Bay. It's a Brisbane thing)

Comment

I have almost always been disappointed by lobster. The only lobster I have really enjoyed was in Cuba where it is only allowed to be served to tourists. I was at an all inclusive
                                                  Dirty tenth glasses
                                                  What?

I didn't realise that lambs, brains, shark and pigeon were exotic. I have had all three. Indeed, the first time I had shark, I was asking my wife if it was a particularly strong ammonia taste normally. She said no so I mentioned this to the waiter. He took it away, came out of the kitchen gagging - either having eaten or smelt it - and promptly offered me a replacement. Bear in mind, iI had innocently eaten half of it.

In my football/band local before a match, there is a bloke that brings in some vile culinary atrocity every week. First it was fermented shark - which the landlord wouldn't even let in the beer garden, let alone the pub - and then century eggs. He, without fail, asks me if I want to try to which my answer is, of course, no. I can't even eat peppers with their skins on any more without them repeating on me incessantly so I am not going to repeat my youthful epicurean adventures.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X