Ready meals 'Do not reheat' instruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they say that? I know the issues about reheating cold rice, but why would my lamb rogan josh be a health hazard if I reheat it?

I'd never really thought about the phrase 'piping hot' before. I thought maybe it was something to do with pipes containing hot water, or perhaps that a Scottish piper used to fanfare the arrival of a really hot dish.

Nope, all to do with the little whistling noises made by steam coming off super-hot food.

Comment

why would my lamb rogan josh be a health hazard if I reheat it?
      It was probably a health hazard before you first heated it.

Seriously though, cooked meat is like Las Vegas for some quite harmful bacteria, and reheating it after eg 24 hours only encourages them. Most people would probably only suffer a mild dose of the trots at worst (and probably put the effects down to eating a curry in the first place) but it can be quite serious, so that's why the companies cover their bases.

Comment

Yeah, the more often you allow food to cool down, be heated up, cool down again etc., the more of a chance you're giving bacteria to multiply. By the same token if you've cooked food yourself from scratch and heat up leftovers it's best to avoid reheating more than once (and to serve it while it's still hot).

Comment

Because the meal will have been cooked already to some extent so technically when you cook it you are just reheating it. I remember from home economics class that you should only reheat food once to avoid food poisoning.

Comment

Working...
          X