Automobile options no one wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I consider self-cancelling indicators to be unnecessary frippery.

Comment

I wrote a brochure once for the 4-door Hyundai Accent. I really found a groove, and by the end of the opening two-page spread I'd convinced myself that this was simply the most obvious, most exciting fucking car ever to want to own. At a few minutes' distance I recalled, of course, that it was nothing more than a soulless toaster with four wheels.

Comment

I always felt the Austin Maestro's talking dashboard was a genius idea. You've stalled at the lights, you're fumbling to restart your car while drivers behind sound their horns, and the helpful talking dashboard pipes up in that irritating computer-voice "Your engine has stalled". Great, ta.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote:
          I haven't worked out what lane keep assist is basically meant to achieve other than trying to let you sleep while you drive.

Radar based cruise control is awesome though. Basically set it as fast as you can and then let it look for the speed of cars in front of you and it slows down.
          The two are linked. Lane assist uses the same technology that advanced radar cruise uses. It's all well and good staying 1.5 seconds behind the car in front, but the car also has (or soon will have should you choose) the ability to steer too. It's a precursor to fully automated cars, for motorway cruising at least. There are videos on youtube of someone (not) driving from the back-seat an Infiniti at 150kmph on an autobahn.

On the Start/Stop thing, it's now largely standard in Europe to help [strike]cheat[/strike] improve the EU emissions scores. It's there whether you want it or not, and many don't enjoy the sensation of stalling which it can bring.

Comment

WOM wrote: At a few minutes' distance I recalled, of course, that it was nothing more than a soulless toaster with four wheels.

Comment

bruno glanvilla wrote:
              The two are linked. Lane assist uses the same technology that advanced radar cruise uses. It's all well and good staying 1.5 seconds behind the car in front, but the car also has (or soon will have should you choose) the ability to steer too. It's a precursor to fully automated cars, for motorway cruising at least. There are videos on youtube of someone (not) driving from the back-seat an Infiniti at 150kmph on an autobahn.
              I understand that, it is just I don't really see the value as a consumer for the lane keep assist on its own. Sure it is on their way to developing what they consider to be the final product but that component on its own doesn't seem to add any value. Blind Spot check? Sure. Radar speed control? Excellent. Though they are typically bundled as a package so basically you get something you don't need for free.

Comment

Well, one reason is that they can then start saying it's standard and it keeps the cost of the car up to keep adding in more and more stuff, especially as the true cost of computing power keeps going down.

Like originally it was car radios that were new, then standard and the better version was radio cassette decks, then that became standard and it was CD players that were the premium thing. Now it's iPod docks and wi-fi. Always something new.

Electric windows were once only for cars at the top of the range. Now pretty much standard.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote:
                  Originally posted by WOM
                  At a few minutes' distance I recalled, of course, that it was nothing more than a soulless toaster with four wheels.
                  You wound me, sir.

Comment

I like to think that WOM and treibeis have inadvertently worked on each other's copy, though the precise method of transmission remains elusive (most likely in my book is German > English > Korean > English, but that isn't the only option).

ms ursus' father had a Dodge Dart with this ridiculous set of transmission push buttons

Comment

I tried working on BMW once, but kept ending all my sentences with "....because you're probably an asshole."

I have worked on Mercedes and VW, though, plus Ford and far too much Hyundai.

Comment

WOM wrote: I tried working on BMW once, but kept ending all my sentences with "....because you're probably an asshole."
                        Ah, you see, that's why you wouldn't get the job. It's "arsehole". They're sticklers for British English.

They wouldn't know what British English was if it came up to them, mooned in their faces, chucked a plastic chair through the window, pissed against the wall and complained about the fucking lack of fucking shops that sell fucking Dolly Mixtures, but they think they do.

Anyway, I don't write stuff for BMW (or anybody) and never really have. I just sort of mop up executives' outpourings.

Comment

I had a great meeting once with the thickly-accented president of MB Canada. We were trying to move a bunch of massive 500 series sedans; all $100K and over.

I asked him who their most likely buyer at that price level was:

"Ah. Zat vould be people who own construction companies, and ze drug dealers."

Comment

Deep knowledge of their market is what sets Daimler apart.

Comment

treibeis wrote: They wouldn't know what British English [strike]was if it came up to them, mooned in their faces, chucked a plastic chair through the window, pissed against the wall and complained about the fucking lack of fucking shops that sell fucking Dolly Mixtures, but they think they do[/strike]. if it was Peyton Manning
                              Topical NFL fix for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X