So, did you get a Valentine then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cards, gifts, whatever? Did you get anything?

I got given a a pair of pigeons. Not real pigeons though (thank God!) - one of those virtual gift thingies where someone in Bangladesh is given their starter pair to start a pigeon-breeding business.

Also a couple of books, but mainly the pigeons.

No.

Comment

I'm married, so, you know.

Comment

I drew my daughter the "I choo- choo- choose you" card.

"What the heck?" was the official response.

I've been married 17 years, so, you know.

Comment

Is this one of those threads where we are enticed in and then get lambasted for being smug marrieds or whatever?

Comment

Ms Felicity is in that Norwich for half-term, but she hid a card in my sock drawer (she must be totally convinced of my personal hygiene in her absence).

It was a weird vintage valentine card, with the big bad wolf in bed as grandma, saying to the girl (NOT Red Riding Hood, as she is not wearing red at all) 'I just want to feast my eyes on you'. The girl is clearly under age and sort of half raising her skirts. On the back in pencil it says (in a descending diagonal): 'beverly'. Ms felicity didn't write that, I hasten to add.

Comment

Those were different days, to be sure.

I like this one:

Comment

Just the one this year...

Comment

I got a Valentines Day card from the entire Everton ladies team. It is possible that it might just be a marketing thing and they don't actually all fancy me.

Comment

Do the dog's farts smell of Limburger?!

Is that an ad for the cheese?

(Thanks MsD- I may well download that for next year- 'you thought YOU found a weird one'!)

Comment

I don't think it's authentically old, tbh.

Comment

We, or rather our house, received a card with chocolates attached from a local estate agency.

It felt special but it turns out that they sent one to everyone in the street. The house has been crying all afternoon. No new instructions for you, Love Rat & Co.

Comment

Erm, they still sent you chocolate.

Comment

Good point, Bored. Who am I to begrudge the neighbours their share of the treats?

Comment

Who am I going to get one from, my dog?

Comment

No, he's a selfish little sod.

Comment

To be fair, he doesn't have any money.

Comment

I thought he had a job.

Comment

He does, but it's unpaid volunteer work.

Comment

La Signora is still in Houston. I got a photo of her and her daughter flaunting margaritas.

Comment

Nah, mrs b and myself don't do Valentine's, for two very important reasons:

1. we were both single for quite a while before we met, and Feb 14th always made us feel like shite.

2. Our anniversary is earlier in Feb, and that's waaaaaaaaaaay more important (and means we're not having to dodge Valentinesers for a decent restaurant reservation)

Comment

I found one in my suitcase upon arrival back in Nairobi, after a week at home. So I lied at check-in when I said that I knew the contents of my baggage.

Comment

Of course I got one, I'm a bloody stud.

(TLMG gave me a card. I gave her a card too, and a cupcake with heart shaped biscuits on it. Who says romance is dead?)

Comment

I sent several hundred bunches of flowers.

Admittedly that's my job, which does take some of the romance out of it, but at least I got to have a laugh at some of the cheesy card messages, and also get some good blackmail material for those who sent two bunches but to different women.

Comment

Nothing here, we don't do it in our household (fnar). We did head out for a bit in the afternoon and laughed at all the macho latino guys on the underground trying to look manly whilst carrying big red heart-shaped balloons. Why do people buy that crap? Flowers I can appreciate, but who shows their affection by giving an adult person a fucking balloon?

A funny thing is that a decade ago Valentine's day basically didn't exist as a thing in Argentina, and now the place is absolutely packed with people given gifts and (cause and effect here) businesses trying to sell them stuff.

Weirdest is businesses, football clubs etc. wishing everyone happy Valentine's day (something I see upthread isn't exclusive to Argentina). Or the oddballs on Twitter I saw earlier wishing all their followers a happy Valentine's day. If the point of the day is ostensibly to be about the private love you have for another individual, why wish anyone apart from the person you fancy a happy one?

Hmm, bit ranty, that. It wasn't meant to be - I just increasingly feel this is the weirdest 'celebration' day on the calendar.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X