• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Why can't we do that here?"

Whereabouts?

Comment

BrunoMaggiore wrote:
      I've lived in Champaign-Urbana for a while at two different points in my life. Not a bad place.
      No. Nor an especially good one, if we're honest.

Comment

Well, I live in the 'Hood, pretty much, but that's London on public sector money for you.

Incidentally, if you mean the Country Club golf course as opposed to Lincolnshire Hills*, then you were right near Wolfram Research's office, which is the bit I go to.

(*Unwitting oxymoron, right there.)

Comment

Femme Folle wrote:
          It was about six hours from King's X to Queen Street in Glasgow. I can't imagine it would be two hours less from London to Edinburgh. Is it?
          Its nearer 5 hours to Edinburgh.

and Central Station in Glasgow is faster from Euston, than Queen Street from Kings Cross.

Comment

More often than not, any US golf course with the word "Hills" in its name will be largely or completely flat. Those that actually are hilly don't see a need to advertise the fact as aggressively.

Comment

The point is, though, that Lincolnshire itself is largely or completely flat.

Comment

I'd like public bins that you can separate rubbish into for recycling purposes.

Comment

Oops, it's Lincolnshire Fields, I see on googling. Lincolnshire has plenty of fields.

Comment

"The point is, though, that Lincolnshire itself is largely or completely flat."

Well, so is Champaign. In fact, it's the flattest place I've ever been.

Comment

Which is ironic, I guess.

Comment

Anyway, if it is Lincolnshire Fields you mean, that's very near where my aunt and uncle live.

Comment

Yes, yes. But which of you is more working class?

Comment

One of my favorite things about America is all the optimistically named subdivisions and apartment complexes. There may not be any meadows, hills, groves, or brooks in evidence but we'll be damned if that stops us.
                            I'm glad somebody likes it. That's one of my least favorite things about America. Not the names of the places, exactly, but the endless sprawling, pedestrian and transit-unfriendly, cookie-cutter, tan-carpeted, soulless developments. Much of Fairfax County, Virginia, for example is all "Hunter's Glen" and "Arbor Courts," interspersed with shopping centers loaded with big box stores, fast food and other sorts of chain restaurants as far as the eye can see. It's depressing.

Although it's being rapidly destroyed, I think North America probably has a lot more open space and wild space than Europe. That's a plus.

Comment

The Simpsons got it right with Pressboard Estates.

Comment

Sometimes I think that I am the only one who gets a reasonable portion of what you post on here.

Not sure if that is a good thing or not, mind.

Comment

Although it's being rapidly destroyed, I think North America probably has a lot more open space and wild space than Europe. That's a plus.
                                  Oh, definitely. I doubt it's even close.

Comment

We also have some great wild animals that you all of pushed into extinction - bears, wolves (a few, at least), beavers, boars, etc.

Also, it is my understanding that in the UK, at least, a lot of the best fishing and hunting areas are controlled by private interests and not open to the public unless you pay a fee and get a guide or somesuch.

This is true in some areas in the Eastern U.S., but pretty much unheard of west of the Appalachians.

Of course, every state requires a fishing or hunting license and various permits. Some places, like the Boundary Waters only allow so many people in the area at a time, but these aren't major impediments to anyone who plans a bit.

Comment

I'd like to see a culture where fishing and hunting were regarded as evil and wrong.

Comment

You can read Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick.

You might think that, but in all likelihood, that wouldn't work out very well. A lot, lot more deer would starve or get into accidents with cars as their populations exploded and a lot more streams would die or turn to shit because nobody would take care of them or care about the fish populations.

it's ok to eat fish, 'cos they don't have any feelings.

Comment

Public washrooms - that is, not in private establishments or malls - that anyone can use at any time. Even better - with a full-time, well-paid attendant.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                            Public washrooms - that is, not in private establishments or malls - that anyone can use at any time. Even better - with a full-time, well-paid attendant.
                                            Would that be a unionized or non-unionized full-time, well-paid washroom attendant?

(smiley thing)

Comment

Man, I hate going into a bathroom where there's an attendant. I just feel awkward. I don't need someone handing me a paper towel--and god, especially not spraying any cologne on me--when I can get it myself and without the pressure for a tip, but on the other hand, I feel so bad for the people that have to work inside a bathroom all day, that I feel guilty if I don't tip them.

Seems like the problem is more with me than them, doesn't it?

Comment

Would that be a unionized or non-unionized full-time, well-paid washroom attendant?
                                                City employee. Unionized.

(publicly chastened thing)

Comment

Inca: this guy's not handing you anything, except maybe a knuckle sandwich for not flushing. No, this guy is armed and is there strictly to keep the yahoos from vandalizing the joint and the perverts from doing the sort of thing that perverts do in public bogs, making it uncomfortable for those of us in there on legitimate business.

Comment

Okay, that's something completely different then. To your list, I would add making sure that anyone just going into a stall to pee puts the seat up, so people that go in after them don't have to deal with a wet seat.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X