Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antonin Scalia dead

Orrin Hatch last week, to Newsmax:

"The President told me several times he’s going to name a moderate [to fill the court vacancy], but I don’t believe him," Hatch told us.

"[Obama] could easily name Merrick Garland, who is a fine man," he told us, referring to the more centrist chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia who was considered and passed over for the two previous high court vacancies.

But, Hatch quickly added, "He probably won’t do that because this appointment is about the election. So I’m pretty sure he’ll name someone the [liberal Democratic base] wants."

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Sadface

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Yeah, it's an attempt at 3D chess. The Republican senators have a choice of going with "moderate" Merrick or banking on a Trump victory in November. It's a gamble for them, now.

And now they either go back on their word to not appoint a justice; or they look even more like they're playing cynical politics.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

If I was a Republican I'd be banking on Hillary to appoint somebody more right wing.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Was just listening to the local NPR radio in the car and Obama was talking about what a great family man Garland is, married for 30 years, has two kids. Also mentioned how he worked stocking shelves when he was a student. Garland himself goes on about how this is the greatest day of his life except for the day his wife said yes to his marriage proposal, how his grandparents emigrated to the USA to make a better life for themselves and escape antisemitism, how his mother was a member of the local school PTA and how this instilled in him the values of community service.

The message I take from this is that I'm clearly going to have to rewrite my CV. I just have my education and my job experience.

Would do your head in, wouldn't it.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Sajid Javid's CV has "father moved here from Pakistan and drove buses".

Sadiq Khan's has "father moved here from Pakistan, drove buses, but probably had a bomb".

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

What I love about Bernie Sanders is that he never does the life story spiel. Doesn't talk about his background. He also doesn't even talk about how he got arrested during the civil rights movement. No, he just keeps talking about how the needs and rights of the electorate are being shafted.

The more I watch that speech by Obama at the DNC in 2004 the more I can't stand it. I used to think it was a great speech, but time has made me aware that he was saying nothing at all.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

antoine polus wrote: If I was a Republican I'd be banking on Hillary to appoint somebody more right wing.
                  Indeed.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

antoine polus wrote: Was just listening to the local NPR radio in the car and Obama was talking about what a great family man Garland is, married for 30 years, has two kids. Also mentioned how he worked stocking shelves when he was a student.
                    That's a bit of an embellishment, as if having held a part time job as an undergrad at Harvard makes him a working class hero.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Brunho wrote: Bill Clinton appointed Breyer and Ginsburg.
                      Yeah, but back then the senate at least tried to do its job.

I was thinking more along the lines of Hillary being more willing to appease Republicans in order to appear bipartisan.

Seems the the Republicans have decided that they won't even consider thinking about imagining holding a hearing for Garland.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

HRC is a right-winger in many things, but on social issues she does not stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Republicans. I should expect her to appoint supreme court judges who share her views on stuff like reproductive rights, medical care, racism etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X