Richard Dawkins has had a stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't be bothered resurrecting the old thread.

Apparently the Church of England has tweeted a request for people to pray for him, which I've seen described as trolling. Not sure of it's in poor taste or not.

Patrick Thistle wrote: Apparently the Church of England has tweeted a request for people to pray for him, which I've seen described as trolling. Not sure of it's in poor taste or not.
    What would you expect the CoE to do?

Comment

Keep its trap shut.

Though maybe Dawkins in the past told some terminally ill Bishop "Lot of good your prayers did, eh?"

Actually he probably did.

Comment

why shouldn't they ask people to pray for him? it's the christian thing to do. turn the other cheek, love thine enemy. the fact that the christian thing to do is in this case indistinguishable from the sarcastic thing to do is merely a delicious coincidence, you know, one of those moments when hope and history rhyme.

Comment

Much ado about nothing apart from the fact that Dawkins has had a serious condition which, hopefully, he will recover from.

Comment

Bless them.

Comment

What garcia said. Apart from anything else, it's the Church of England, not Buzzfeed. It ought to be pretty bloody obvious they're not suggesting it to take the piss out of him.

Comment

Is this a thread now? Controversy about people conveying their well-wishes in their own way?

And why should they keep their trap shut? Isn't extending civility and compassion to one's fiercest critics a great example to show?

Comment

Yes, of all the things you can criticise them for, offering up a prayer for a man who is gravely ill is fairly low down the list.

Comment

Get well soon.

The Church of Buzzfeed sounds interesting. Does it pass round a collection clickbait?

Comment

These people tithed their income and you'll never believe what happened next.

With a picture of a supermodel boarding a jet.

Comment

I didn't say it was trolling, someone else did.

I mean, yeah, what else can they do but pray? But maybe not tweet about it because it looks a bit nah nah nah? I'm sure it comes from a genuine place but it's probably not the smartest thing (the tweeting).

Comment

https://twitter.com/Pontifex/status/690477774172127232

Comment

Working...
                          X