Hands up if you had pancakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrating the martyrdom of St Pancake of Antioch who wove a shrove every Tuesday. Yes, that's right it was pancake day today.

Who else had one (or several)?

Two for me, out of politeness cos my partner made too many. Nice though, if a bit heavy.

Comment

Complete forgot today was the day.

Comment

I would have forgotten, but my wife remembered. Too late to get me to reflect it in the main course, which is my department, but the missus made some sweet pancakes for our pudding. I used up some old Easter bunny chocolate from last year as the filling in mine, that had been lurking in a cupboard for 10 months. Melted it first in the microwave.

Comment

We're having them in a couple of hours — pancakes and crépes (to acknowledge the bi-cultural nature of our household. Otherwise known as keeping the kids happy.)

Comment

Just made them for lunch. Two with ham, melted cheese and spring onions on the inside; avocado on the outside. And one, of course, with lemon and sugar.

Comment

Intriguing - how do the two differ exactly in practice Amor?

Think I had four pancakes this evening in the end, counting the first one off the pan that's always a bit messy and rubbish. Lemon and sugar all round, except for one I had with raspberry jam and a splodge of chocolate sauce (for ice-cream), which worked pretty well.

Comment

Pancakes are North American style. Crépes (UK pancakes basically) are French. The kids associate crépes with dessert and pancakes with breakfast. Having the choice is what, for them, makes the occasion special.

Comment

I dispute that UK pancakes and crepes are the same. Crepes are sufficiently thinner that they are a different thing. You can't toss a crepe.

Comment

That's true, but the batter is essentially the same.

Comment

Of course you can toss a crêpe! Ridiculous.

The best crêpes are by far the savoury galettes made with buckwheat flour.

Comment

Cheers for the culinary disambiguation.

Patrick Thistle wrote: Celebrating the martyrdom of St Pancake of Antioch who wove a shrove every Tuesday.
                        Many thanks too to PT for the theological insight, by the way. This Sunday is the 14th of February, of course, which if I'm right is the feast day of St Valentine of Interflora, who was martyred by the Romans for refusing to stop composing the most godawful love poetry. I believe he was ritually impaled on a rosebush then stoned to death with strawberry cremes, which is why today he's the patron saint of overpriced cut flowers, soft centres and doggerel.

Comment

Had the usual savoury ones filled with fried onions, spinach and mushrooms and topped with grilled cheese. The boy invited a mate around for pancakes who prodded the spinach like it was a dead rat until we said that he didn't have to eat it. Then we had a couple of sweet ones with lemon juice, sugar, maple syrup or a combination thereof. I preferred the savoury. Indeed, I always do the pancakes and wonder whether they are worth the bother especially as I have to buy everything in to use it up.

Comment

No, but I may cheat and have some today (Wednesday). Don't tell God.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: That's true, but the batter is essentially the same.
                              Are UK crepes close to Swedish pancakes (which are thicker version of crepes).

Pancake day also known as the Chandeleur was last week in France, it's mostly about the dessert ones. The savoury ones are made with buckwheat flour and are a little more crisp.

Comment

Had some turkey pancakes for my tea, followed by some pancakes with banana and honey. Later I had a couple of scotch pancakes with cheese.

Comment

A couple for breakfast with Golden Syrup, and two more for supper with lemon and golden caster. Fantastically indulgent.

These were unleavened crepes (I always assumed the difference with US-style pancakes was the addition of baking soda or some other raising agent: is that right?)

Comment

Breakfast this morning, with just butter and a fruits of the forest yogurt.

Comment

Too many last night, leading to a touch of acid reflux.

Comment

slackster wrote: These were unleavened crepes (I always assumed the difference with US-style pancakes was the addition of baking soda or some other raising agent: is that right?)
                                        Yeah, basically. Also you eat the US ones with sausages and maple syrup for some bizarre reason.

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote: Had some turkey pancakes for my tea
                                          Turkey? Turkey? I thought I was being heretical with my savoury pancakes. What sort of turkey?

Comment

I like a savoury crêpe, me. (I'm sure there's an innuendo in there somewhere, but I'm blessed...etc)

Little Ms Womble had pancakes both last night and this morning, with fruit, chocolate and honey. (Yeah, I know.)

Comment

slackster wrote: A couple for breakfast with Golden Syrup, and two more for supper with lemon and golden caster. Fantastically indulgent.

These were unleavened crepes (I always assumed the difference with US-style pancakes was the addition of baking soda or some other raising agent: is that right?)
                                              Yes no baking powder, much thicker, lightly-beaten batter, but also American pancakes work better with buttermilk instead of milk.

Comment

Working...
                                              X