So, Ireland then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Ireland then

I was nearly involved in a serious head on collision during my driving test. I Had gone down to do my three point turn on a quay side (The stakes are higher in Connemara, though the pass rates are also higher) and I was coming up from the yacht club in clifden when a cunt came around the corner mostly on my side of the road. I stood so hard on the brakes, that the back wheels probably jumped up in the air.

I assumed that this was going to be the third time I was going to fail as a result of nearly being involved in a collision during my test. The first two times involved old people walking out on the road. That wasn't going to be a problem in clifden, during fair day, because all the old people were already walking down the middle of the fucking road.

Anyway I passed, which was good. Because two days before the Stags head had been sold, and the day before that glazers had bought man utd, so I needed a bit of good news.

Don't listen to Calvert. I struggle to deal with the rain in galway. In donegal, the sky looks like they're summoning Zool all the time.

Though I think that it would be fair to say that Donegal, pretty much the same as mayo and west galway. The main difference between donegal and the rest of The republic, is that if AP took that picture on Donegal, there would be a volkswagen golf, with a nail through the silencer and a fake gti badge, buried in one of those walls, with all 17 occupants dead.

Comment

So, Ireland then

Something that is Worth remembering about ireland's back roads is that we simply have so many of them. We hae 2400 km of secondary roads, We have 11,000 km of regional roads, and about 40,000km local roads. To an unusually large degree we are still a nation of people who like to live on the side of backroads in the countryside.

Comment

So, Ireland then

And that's why Ireland is one of the great destinations if you like watching car rallies.

I'd also recommend Westport as a Must Do in that part of the world. The views over Clew Bay are amazing. I think I must have driven through Mulranney without it registering as we went out to Achill Island - it would be about 2004 I think, and some local boy was doing well in the X Factor or something like that, and nearly every house had banners of support up for him.

Comment

So, Ireland then

Don't listen to Calvert. I struggle to deal with the rain in galway. In donegal, the sky looks like they're summoning Zool all the time.
          Oh?
          I always imagined the west coast and Galway in particular to be the soggiest part of Ireland.
          I love Galway too, but as rare as it is, a sunny day on Donegal's beaches is unbeatable.

Comment

So, Ireland then

Donegal is nearly 100 miles north of here. the weather is always going to be worse. It's worse here than in kerry for that reason. it's fucking subtropical in Garinish. It rains most in delphi on the mayo galway border, but there's no higher point further north. It rains 20% more in killybegs than in galway city.

Comment

So, Ireland then

It rains a lot in Ireland, eh.

Comment

So, Ireland then

Sligo has an interesting contemporary arts centre, if you like that sort of thing. It was way over my head. Of course, I would recommend a trip to Fermanagh instead if you're going up that far, though. On the way to Sligo you could try Eagles Flying.

Westport and Galway are both very nice.

Comment

So, Ireland then

MsD wrote: It rains a lot in Ireland, eh.
                  well it depends. It rains more than in london, but that is true of virtually all of europe. you only get 600 mm of rain every year in london.

It rains about twice as much in galway city, but it rains/snows more in New york and glasgow. And Dublin, Manchester and Cahir get about 700 mm. Rome, milan and turin all get about 40% more.

Comment

So, Ireland then

Yes, but they get theirs in torrential bursts four or five times a year, not in a remorseless drizzle every single fucking day.

Comment

So, Ireland then

Definitely not true for Turin and largely untrue for Milan (though Milan does get absolutely cracking thunderstorms).

Comment

So, Ireland then

And Dublin, Manchester and Cahir get about 700 mm. Rome, milan and turin all get about 40% more.
                        All of those are major population centres with motorway systems.

Comment

So, Ireland then

antoine polus wrote:
                          And Dublin, Manchester and Cahir get about 700 mm. Rome, milan and turin all get about 40% more.
                          All of those are major population centres with motorway systems.
                          Yes. We're now bigger than Cashel, which is the Springfield, to our Shelbyville. The urban slum of Tipperary town is in our sights.

Comment

So, Ireland then

Broken glass, everywhere, people pissing in the pubs you know they just don't care.

Comment

So, Ireland then

This is normally the point where Berba compares the part of Tipperary he isn't from to rural Guatemala.

Comment

So, Ireland then

I think Berba is actually a self-loathing Loyalist from Portadown

Comment

So, Ireland then

Bump, any word on how long you want to spend with your friends, at the beginning etienne, and how many at the end, so I can help suggest a route broken up into days

Comment

So, Ireland then

Still nor quite sure, TAB. Unfortunately we won't be able to go straight there, as they actually live in the States, and are only coming back for some of the summer.

Comment

So, Ireland then

Etienne wrote: Still nor quite sure, TAB. Unfortunately we won't be able to go straight there, as they actually live in the States, and are only coming back for some of the summer.
                                      Ah. well then would you like to start in dublin, and move around the country heading towards mayo? in a certain number of days. Or spend a night in dublin, drive around for a bit, and then go to mayo, and then dublin for a few days.

To be honest I'd recommend making one of the legs of your journey a direct run between dublin and mayo. It's one of the longest journeys you can make in Ireland, and there's fuck all on the way once you leave mayo. so you may as well get over it all at once.

Comment

Working...
                                      X