The most famous thing with your surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must admit that I'm slightly surprised at how many people are prepared to essentially reveal their surnames on here.

Mine is the same as a local road, is shared by a British Olympic medallist, appears on the odd small business around the country and is derived from the name of a hamlet in the Seine-Maritime department in northern France.

My full name is the same as that of an obscure Texan politician.

Good luck in figuring it out from that.

Comment

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote:
      Originally posted by Benjm
      Probably this twat, unfortunately...

You could have put up a picture of Bobby, y'know? Or Julianne...
      Taking numbers of 'Ha ha, no relation to..?' comments over the years as the decider, Sir Roger is definitely our tentpole celebrity. He is also a wonderful man and does a lot for charity, as he repeatedly points out in the pages of his autobiography.

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote: I must admit that I'm slightly surprised at how many people are prepared to essentially reveal their surnames on here.
        I figured enough people would know mine anyway, via Facebook, or through my occasional attempts to promote books about deceased musicians, etc. I tried the 'anonymous' line on the old board, to no avail. If anybody wants to stalk or kill me as a result of this, well, get it over with quickly, eh?

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
          Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission
          I must admit that I'm slightly surprised at how many people are prepared to essentially reveal their surnames on here.
          I figured enough people would know mine anyway, via Facebook, or through my occasional attempts to promote books about deceased musicians, etc. I tried the 'anonymous' line on the old board, to no avail. If anybody wants to stalk or kill me as a result of this, well, get it over with quickly, eh?
          What's the most famous thing with your address in it?

Comment

While I don't really have anything famous with the same surname as myself, I feel like this is the right and only place to point out that Armie Hammer's real name is Armand Hammer. His parents named him that because his family are the owners of Arm and Hammer. So the most famous thing with his surname is the company that he's named after.

He must hate his parents. And he'd be right to.

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote: I must admit that I'm slightly surprised at how many people are prepared to essentially reveal their surnames on here.
              I'd maybe worry if I had an unusual surname. But my first and last names are extremely common. There are even three people with my first name and last name in the local phone book, and I'm a Bloody Foreigner.

If anyone tried stalking me, they'd have to wade through any number of sportsmen, actors and musicians before reaching their intended target.

Comment

Acronym-ed, mine's a human resource management strategy. Also, a poet laureate from the 18th century and a current loanee playing for Cinderford Town FC.

Comment

Uosdwis R Dewoh wrote: While I don't really have anything famous with the same surname as myself, I feel like this is the right and only place to point out that Armie Hammer's real name is Armand Hammer. His parents named him that because his family are the owners of Arm and Hammer. So the most famous thing with his surname is the company that he's named after.

Sadly, a myth. He was named for his grandfather, who was not named for the baking soda.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                    Originally posted by Uosdwis R Dewoh
                    While I don't really have anything famous with the same surname as myself, I feel like this is the right and only place to point out that Armie Hammer's real name is Armand Hammer. His parents named him that because his family are the owners of Arm and Hammer. So the most famous thing with his surname is the company that he's named after.

Sadly, a myth. He was named for his grandfather, who was not named for the baking soda.
                    I'm more relieved than you can possibly imagine.

Comment

Mine is the same as a local road, is shared by a British Olympic medallist, appears on the odd small business around the country and is derived from the name of a hamlet in the Seine-Maritime department in northern France.

My full name is the same as that of an obscure Texan politician.

Good luck in figuring it out from that.
                      It's all cryptic enough to completely unsearchable, though. It would need someone to specifically find this thread, and then pick through some more or less obscure cultural references to figure the answers out. A human can do that, a machine intelligence can't. And that human would have to then go delving to find out who our posters actually are. It is simply not worth the time and effort to anyone who wants to misuse the information.

My name and address are easily available from the phone book and similar internet directories anyway, and I guess that is true of most others. Though I didn't actually give even the merest hint of a clue here.

Comment

Uosdwis R Dewoh wrote:
                        Originally posted by WOM
                        Originally posted by Uosdwis R Dewoh

I'm more relieved than you can possibly imagine.
                        Surely the company was named for him, not t'other way around?

Comment

Not that either. Armand Hammer (Sr) owned a stake in Church & Dwight, but that's where the connection starts and ends.

Comment

Fair dos, the interweb appears to agree with that.

Comment

I also have the joy of sharing my name with a character from the office.

In the mid nineties I used to go to a pub quiz in Reading with someone I went to football with. The rest of the team were his mates. Every now and again we would be joined by one of his mates younger brother who lived in London. This person was perhaps the most annoying person I have ever met, constantly screeching and just being a cock in general.

His particular source of amusement with me was to repeat my name and the village I am from, over and over and over and over again, in a series of stupid voices. After about two hours of this, it gets rather tedious.

My other mates clocked on to this and would sometimes do it as well.

After a while the pub closed down so I never saw him after that. Until that is, about 18 months later when I was watching the 11 o'clock show and all of a sudden, who appears on screen, none other than annoying younger brother, as the person in question was Ricky Gervais.

Anyway, step forward another couple of years and one evening I was playing cricket. After getting changed I checked my phone to find that I had about 30 missed calls or messages. All of them were about the same thing; was I watching a programme called The Office as Gervais was in it and a character had just appeared with my name, introduced in exactly the same way as was done in the pub, being repeated in various stupid accents.

Anyway, in the next series Brent is rattling off a list of places in the Slough area, carries on for a bit, then stops to state the village I'm from, in another stupid voice. The village is the other side of Reading from Slough and doesn't fit in at all with the list of other places.

So I can only conclude the whole reason for him writing the office was to ridicule me to a wider audience the the Whitley Carosell Club.

I'm over this now but for a while I did change my name to Max Power.

Comment

BB&F wins AGAIN

Comment

that's glorious. You should have killed him in reading when you had the chance.

Comment

I was going to contribute but after reading BB&F who's going to be interested in anything else?

Comment

*Speechless*

Comment

It's not like giving out phone numbers or e-mail addresses, is it?
                                        If somebody did want to target one or more of us for their own nefarious means, there would be better ways of getting hold of sensitive information than just a name.

Comment

Mr Beast wrote: I was going to contribute but after reading BB&F who's going to be interested in anything else?
                                          I see BB&F as Bob Beamon. People are chatting with their coaches, stretching, going through their plans for what they are going to do in the competition they have been preparing for for four years. They glance over for BB&F's turn. He jumps beyond the scope of the measuring device. Everyone else immediately knows that this one is done and dusted, and it's not going to be theirs.

Comment

I share a surname with a posh sounding television personality and comedian. It is also mentioned on the news a lot as it is the centre of government in London.

Comment

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission
                                              It's not like giving out phone numbers or e-mail addresses, is it?
                                              If somebody did want to target one or more of us for their own nefarious means, there would be better ways of getting hold of sensitive information than just a name.
                                              Well, I'm not an expert in Internet scamming, but I suppose that marrying someone's name, IP address (which people in the know seem to be able to find out) and a host of other personal information that people often post on here might enable someone to misuse the data.

Comment

Working...
                                              X