The most famous thing with your surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without seeking to pressure anyone into giving up their anonymity, what's the most famous thing you see "your" surname on regularly?

Mine is fire engines and dustbin lorries.

Mine has a Lane and a nursery (of the crop growing variety) in a nearby town, but not much besides - it's not a common name. Although there was someone hanged for murder in Victorian times - whether or not the culprit was an ancestor of mine depends on who I'm telling the story to...

Comment

Famous people much more than famous things. If I lived in the UK, how widespread would these be?
      http://www.jenningsbrewery.co.uk/beers

Comment

Mine is not that common as a surname, but is known as an area of the country that has given its name to a Radio station and a football club.

Comment

Mine mainly has various Germans using it as a first name.

Comment

Sean BBC-Coventry-and-Warwickshire has a nice ring to it

Comment

A talk show host. And also a very litigious billionaire who made his money by dubious means.

Comment

A tank engine, the first openly gay rugby player as well as other Welsh players, the Welsh poet

Comment

An electrical retail chain with most of its stores in the Midlands, a vehicle insurance company based in Belfast and footballers...

Lots of footballers.
                  Mostly from Wales and Northern Ireland.

And of course, the bloke who wrote The Iron Man which later became The Iron Giant (seemingly to avoid Marvel's wrath).

Comment

My last name's not all that uncommon, but the only two 'famous' people I can think of who share it are bizarrely both road bike racers, the most prominent of whom isn't even from a French-speaking country (I'm guessing Janik, Kev or some of the other regulars from the TdF thread might be able to work it out from that clue.)

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Without seeking to pressure anyone into giving up their anonymity, what's the most famous thing you see "your" surname on regularly?

Bloody hell. The penny just dropped for me on who Rogin is.

Comment

A Manchester United player, a hall of residence at Liverpool University and a street near Shettleston Juniors ground.

Comment

Nuclear holocaust delivery vehicles

Comment

Good band.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Good band.
                              Mr Hanson, I presume?

Comment

Irish bars in the USA and shit loads of firms in County Cork I would imagine.

Comment

Butch & Oirish bars. But you can hop-a-long with yer stereotypes, David.

Comment

In a fairly comprehensive trashing of any anonymity I might have on here, I can reveal that my name is, amongst other things, the "ordinary life" surname of a superhero, a Dukedom, an obscure (defunct?) brand of cigarettes and the surname of the big boss bad guy in Destry Rides Again.

As for being on physical stuff, well I'm guessing that if I were to move to anywhere between Sevenoaks and Dover, I'd see it on plenty of items of local authority property.

Comment

I share a name with one of the laws of physics.

Comment

NHH wrote: I share a name with one of the laws of physics.
                                        Thermodynamics? Cool.

Comment

A famous jockey, possibly the best NFL coach ever, and also a Robert De Niro character from one of his best films.

Comment

A posh car.

Comment

hobbes, yesterday :

Comment

caja-dglh wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair Fan
                                                Without seeking to pressure anyone into giving up their anonymity, what's the most famous thing you see "your" surname on regularly?

Fred LDV.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by caja-dglh
                                                  Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair Fan

Fred LDV.
                                                  Now we only need to work out just what it is about armchairs that he loves so much

Comment

Working...
                                                  X