Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English devolution in the UK

I support devolution for the UK.
    My idea is to have regional assemblies across England. We already have regional devolution for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and London. My idea is to have regional devolution for the English.
    My idea would be to divide England into the following regions, South West, Cornwall, South East, West Midlands, East Midlands, Yorkshire, North West, North East, and London.
    Each regional and national parliament would have the same powers. Over law, economics, home affairs, and planning. With shared responsibility over foreign policy, the army.
    The advantages of devolution are to that regional authorities will know better what their regions need. Of course their will be mistakes but that is part of the chance for experimentation of different systems within the UK.
    In the USA they talk of how the 50 states are a great way of using the USA as a laboratory of ideas for what works best.
    I think there is huge economic inequality between the regions, and nations of the UK. I think one reason for this is that all the power is largely held in London. So there is a corrupting motivation to concentrate wealth and power in London. The headquarters and investment will be concentrated in the region that has the most power. But spreading power out to the nations and regions of the UK wealth, power, and investment will be more equally distributed across the UK.
    Why is London so much wealthier than the rest of the UK? And within England, the further you get away from London the poorer the regions are.
    If you are a civil servant in London you will be motivated to make policy that best helps London as that is where you live. Rather than worrying about the North East of England.
    Also another thing is that to solve the problem of England being divided we could have a rotational senate where each English region appoints senator who take it turns to rotate the position of English first minister.

Good luck with the A levels.

Comment

Diable Rouge: The Muppet Babies Years

Comment

Trouble with regional assemblies in England is that nobody much wants them, outside of London and Cornwall.

I'd like more of a role for London Government, with an electoral system like Scotland and Wales.

Comment

Rory - have you ever heard of Blogger. You can cut and paste stuff there.

Comment

Welcome Rory. It seems like you have a lot of ideas. To turn into a fully fledged brain farter you really need to use the enter button less.

Comment

Never trust a man not prepared to reveal his favourite biscuit.
              Is East Anglia in the East Midlands or South East?

Comment

Rory, you do know I've had a good scoop don't you?

Comment

Crusoe wrote: Diable Rouge: The Muppet Babies Years
                  This seems a bit unfair on DR, but I did find it very, very funny.

Comment

Crusoe wrote: Diable Rouge: The Muppet Babies Years
                    Brilliant!

Comment

While Cornwall sees itself as a distinct nation (and never formally entered into union with England) it isn't large enough to justify an assembly with powers akin to Scotland or Wales. Lump it in with Devon, Somerset and Dorset, however, and you're talking. All largely rural counties, with similar issues and reasons to benefit from devolution from Westminster. You could possibly extend that to Gloucestershire and Wiltshire, but somewhere in those counties you start crossing the border into places David Cameron could give a shit about.

The North-West (Cumbria, Lancashire and Cheshire) could secede altogether from the UK now and become something like Europe's 15th wealthiest country.

Comment

I don't think anyone's saying Cornwall should have devolution like Wales or Scotland. It's already a unitary council and that'll be the starting point, with some extra development powers.

You aint sticking Gloucestershire ("an aristocrat among counties", Simon Jenkins) with those yokel counties. We're South Midlands, as constitutionally proved by us being in the Central TV and Midlands Today regions.

They could miss us out and stick Herefordshire in there though.

Comment

You want really cock-eyed regions? Try some of these-

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/who-are-regional-schools-commissioners-and-why-do-they-matter/

You read that right. London is split into 3 different regions. What do the receptionists say when they answer the phone?

"Hello, Commissioner's Office for East of England and London North East"?

Comment

If they are anything like the receptionists at the SEN commissioners, they simply don't answer the phone.

Comment

That doesn't surprise me. If ever you want to share your experiences, I'd love to read it.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: You aint sticking Gloucestershire ("an aristocrat among counties", Simon Jenkins) with those yokel counties. We're South Midlands, as constitutionally proved by us being in the Central TV and Midlands Today regions.
                                Is South Gloucestershire officially part of Gloucestershire? Or is it a bit of a North Korea/South Korea thing?

(They really ought to stop messing about with the counties round that way. I think my father has lived in Bristol, Avon, Somerset, Gloucestershire and loads of other smaller administrative areas that no longer exist, although he's only had five different addresses, all within about five miles of each other.)

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:

The North-West (Cumbria, Lancashire and Cheshire) could secede altogether from the UK now and become something like Europe's 15th wealthiest country.
                                  Now there's an idea that would get my vote!

Comment

This thread title is what Johnny Rotten originally had written at the top of his notepad.

Comment

I would like to hear BB&F!'s view on how this would impact train services and the funding of chain ferries.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                                        You aint sticking Gloucestershire ("an aristocrat among counties", Simon Jenkins) with those yokel counties. We're South Midlands, as constitutionally proved by us being in the Central TV and Midlands Today regions.
                                        Is South Gloucestershire officially part of Gloucestershire? Or is it a bit of a North Korea/South Korea thing?

(They really ought to stop messing about with the counties round that way. I think my father has lived in Bristol, Avon, Somerset, Gloucestershire and loads of other smaller administrative areas that no longer exist, although he's only had five different addresses, all within about five miles of each other.)
                                        Think it's established South Gloucestershire now.

Comment

Working...
                                        X