Zika

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zika

So, it looks as if sexual transmission of the virus, which had previously been suspected, is now considered to be confirmed.

In December 2013, during a Zika virus (ZIKV) outbreak in French Polynesia, a patient in Tahiti sought treatment for hematospermia, and ZIKV was isolated from his semen. ZIKV transmission by sexual intercourse has been previously suspected. This observation supports the possibility that ZIKV could be transmitted sexually.
    Which is very bad news, unless this is a truly isolated incident.

Recall that El Salvador has already recommended that women not get pregnant until 2018, in a country where contraception is very difficult to get and abortion is illegal.

Zika

We've had one case of it so far in Buenos Aires (city), although I believe it was a lady who had just got back from a holiday in Brazil. All the same it's combining with a recent rash (if you'll forgive the pun) of dengue fever cases to make everyone around these parts pretty nervous of mosquitoes. We've got trucks going round the city at night fumigating the streets.

Comment

Zika

Another case of sexual transmission confirmed in Dallas.

Comment

Zika

The zika case has been freaking me out. I have no idea what will happen with people because of the Olympics this year.

Comment

Zika

Yeah. Maybe not the year to go to Rio.

Comment

Zika

It sounds like a vaccine will be developed before the end of the year. I'm not sure about the treatment of carriers.

Comment

Zika

First major sign of Olympic fallout

The United States Olympic Committee told U.S. sports federations that athletes and staff concerned for their health over the Zika virus should consider not going to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in August.

Comment

Zika

Well, they are still trying to figure out human to human transmission after initially rejecting it as a possibility, but yes (though mosquitoes also have short lifetimes).

Comment

Zika

TOO MUCH INFORMATION

Comment

Zika

ursus arctos wrote: First major sign of Olympic fallout

The United States Olympic Committee told U.S. sports federations that athletes and staff concerned for their health over the Zika virus should consider not going to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in August.
                    Cyclist Tejay Van Garderen, who has twice finished fifth in the TdF, has pulled out.

Comment

Zika

It'll save him having to freeze his sperm.

Comment

Working...
                      X