• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVERYONE loves junior doctors

Might as well put this here. Crisis in mental health services

Comment

Had a quick look around that conservative women site, something else isn’t it?

All that’s missing from the manifesto page is

- our wardrobe will consist entirely of pretty floral pattern dresses.

- To stand lovingly and devotedly with a demure, contented smile beside MP husband for the newspaper family photo after he’s been caught snorting cocaine off prostitute’s breasts whilst having oranges stuffed up his arse.

Comment

Gyngell also crops up at IDS' think tank.

Comment

Luxembourg – great medical system
          I had banjaxed my knee on Friday but only got to hospital on Sunday
          It was quiet at the out patients. I was seen by a doctor on admission who did a quick assessment, next one did a one minute assessment then sent me for an X-ray. Then back to him to look at the images and he did a bit of manipulation, diagnosis of a pulled ligament, recommended no sport for next few weeks and prescribed some physio sessions.
          I was in and out in an hour. Hardly had time to read my Songlines magazine.
          Well worth paying taxes for that.

Comment

Man or rhyming slang? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-talk-goes-ahead-after-doctors-were-told-it-was-cancelled-a6873546.html

Comment

Oh dear.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/15/weekend-effect-on-hospital-deaths-not-proven-say-hunts-own-officials

an internal Department of Health draft report, leaked to the Guardian, says the department “cannot evidence the mechanism by which increased consultant presence and diagnostic tests at weekends will translate into lower mortality and reduced length of stay”.

Comment

delicatemoth wrote: Might as well put this here. Crisis in mental health services
                No surprise to any of us living in Norfolk & Suffolk. Or at least it shouldn't be. This, for example should have been the main news the weekend it happened (because if Norfolk & Suffolk mental health can't find a spare bed anywhere in the country, obviously every other mental health trust has the same problem), instead the BBC treated it as a Norfolk story, and not even the main Norfolk story. Whereas a 50% increase in mental health deaths in Norfolk was fourth item on the local BBC news, just after concern over building a mobile phone mast, and Liz Truss trying to use the EU to protect the name of a Norfolk foodstuff. I shit you not.

Luckily, Norfolk has an MP by the name of Norman Lamb, who using the Freedom of Information has found an increase of those attempting or committing suicide between 2012 and 2015 has risen by 25%. I expect when Parliament returns next week, he'll raise it with the Minister of Care for that period, A Coalition MP by the name of Norman Lamb.

Comment

I love junior doctors.

Comment

You really might want to re-think this. The missing person is known by one of our members.

Comment

David Agnew wrote:
                      Originally posted by delicatemoth
                      Might as well put this here. Crisis in mental health services
                      No surprise to any of us living in Norfolk & Suffolk. Or at least it shouldn't be. This, for example should have been the main news the weekend it happened (because if Norfolk & Suffolk mental health can't find a spare bed anywhere in the country, obviously every other mental health trust has the same problem), instead the BBC treated it as a Norfolk story, and not even the main Norfolk story. Whereas a 50% increase in mental health deaths in Norfolk was fourth item on the local BBC news, just after concern over building a mobile phone mast, and Liz Truss trying to use the EU to protect the name of a Norfolk foodstuff. I shit you not.

Luckily, Norfolk has an MP by the name of Norman Lamb, who using the Freedom of Information has found an increase of those attempting or committing suicide between 2012 and 2015 has risen by 25%. I expect when Parliament returns next week, he'll raise it with the Minister of Care for that period, A Coalition MP by the name of Norman Lamb.
                      Norm's parity for mental health is a long time coming. It's a shame he wasn't in the government or anything when he promised that.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: You really might want to re-think this. The missing person is known by one of our members.
                        Well, not exactly. My response on the other thread was a little terse as finding out threw me for a bit, so I'll flesh it out a little.

I've almost certainly met her, but her picture would not have raised even a flicker of recognition. It is other members of her family that I know. And even then it's only at the level of casual acquaintance. There is a reason why I was unaware of the situation until it was brought up on OTF.

Basically no need to tread on eggshells on my account.

That said, the Samaritans media guide on reporting suicide (which hopefully this is NOT, but it seems reasonably applicable in a general sense even if she has just done a Reggie Perrin) does say quite clearly that:-

Over-simplification of the causes or perceived ‘triggers’ for a suicide can be misleading and is unlikely to reflect accurately the complexity of suicide.

For example, avoid the suggestion that a single incident, such as loss of a job, relationship breakdown or bereavement, was the cause.

Basically don't look for clean narratives, because reality is never that easy to encapsulate. There has been a distinct element of this in the last 48 hours, though the media sources are backing away from that a bit and we should be just as careful on here not to fall into the same trap. It did feel uncomfortably like this personal/Family tragedy was being turned into a political football at one stage.

Comment

Junior doctors are revolutionaries...

Comment

Good turn out for the joint BMA/NUT rally on Whitehall this evening in support of the junior doctors' action.

Comment

Pretty blistering stuff from Frankie Boyle

Comment

Etienne wrote: Pretty blistering stuff from Frankie Boyle
                                That's excellent.

Comment

New contract rejected.

Comment

Hunt is out of there in the reshuffle. One for his successor.

Comment

Democracy in action...

Comment

An extra space there...

Comment

We can't afford a better contract after Brexit.

Comment

Blimey, Roshana Mehdian is just on C4 News saying she voted FOR the new contract.

My catheter has just pinged out.

Comment

WOM wrote: An extra space there...
                                              Nice one.

Comment

Interesting fact a doctor friend ("I know doctors, dentists, architects- what's your social circle, Reeves?") told me:

BMA membership among Jr Docs has gone from 50 to 90% in the course of this dispute.

So it's NOT cheaper insurance that recruits people to unions..?

Comment

Working...
                                                X