Getting Robbed In Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Robbed In Paris

I'm off there in November. However I am terrified that i'll be a victim of pickpocketing or petty theft, which is apparently prevalent in these touristy areas.

Is it worse than say....London? Or will a bit of common sense help me keep my worldly possessions intact and am I panicking over nothing?

Getting Robbed In Paris

No worse than London.

Apply some common sense, don't pass out in public and you'll be fine.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

Jesus, what next, a "Getting rushed in Hampstead" thread?

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

But the French are a naturally suspect people. Those dark, close-set, beady eyes, always darting around the place, looking for an opportunity. The unnaturally long fingers, enabling them to snatch a pocket-book, purse or passport without even disturbing your clothing. Their freakishly sticky finger-tips, that attach themselves on to your possessions and refuse to let go.

And worse still comes out with the moon. Have you seen The Hunchback of Notre Dame/Phantom of the Opera/American Werewolf in Paris?

No, if I were fifepride, I too would be nervous.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

Your approach is all wrong fife. Yo have to enjoy the theft exprience, not dread it. If you do that, you will be fine.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

I'm happy to be robbed if its under the pretext of paying for a meal or paying too much for crappy souvenirs and such.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

There are tons of good meals to be had in Paris for a reasonable price, do post again here prior to your trip for travel tips.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

Oh, man, yeah, if you want to eat well and not go bankrupt, Paris is a much better bet than London.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

Apparently the American version of the FCO advises its tourists not to go out after dark in London, and if they do, to ask restaurants to ensure there is a taxi to take them right from the door to their hotel, even if this means avoiding a walk of 400 yards. This is for American tourists coming to stay in the West End, and going to a show in Covent Garden.

It sounds the same as the FCO advice for British businessmen going to Sao Paulo or Johannesburg. So I guess you need to take a bit of a pinch of salt to accompany all "advice" given out by ultra-cautious people.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

In the year I spent living in Paris I was never pick-pocketed, though I did see a rather blatant attempt at it on the metro once.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

I have a money belt that clips round my waist/stomach underneath my shirt. I put my credit card and cash in that and leave my wallet at home. You look like a bit of a tit paying for stuff, but it's virtually pickpocket-proof.

Something like this anyway.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

I'd listen closely to EIM's sage advice.

If you go out take a knife with you. No forget that, take a broadsword. Given that you are probably going to be wearing a kilt anyway, you can pass your attire off to any curious policeman as a Braveheart inspired stag weekend. Just spout some bollocks about the olde alliance and fuck the english, and you will get away with it.

Don't let them surrender to you though, as you are there for fun, and the paperwork would be too much.

Enjoy.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

I cannae go badmouthin the french min! whit about the auld alliance! but come tae think of it they bastarts did fuck aw and just let the english hump us!

claymore it is

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

Thats the spirit.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

If only there was a sometime OTFer who could give you advice on how not to drunkenly hand your wallet to total strangers in an alleyway in Paris and later tell everyone you had been "mugged".

Mark Felt, I'm looking at youi...

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

fifepride's problem is that he simply doesn't understand Gallic streetcrime culture…

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

Here's the US State Department advisory that Rogin notes above. Keep in mind that these things are written for people who are afraid to go to New York because of what they've seen on Kojak.

"CRIME: The United Kingdom and Gibraltar benefit from generally low crime rates and rates decreased slightly in 2007 in significant categories, including violent crime. The crime situation in the UK is similar to the United States, with typical incidents including pick-pocketing; mugging; “snatch and grab” thefts of mobile phones, watches and jewelry; and theft of unattended bags, especially at airports and from cars parked at restaurants, hotels and resorts. Pickpockets target tourists, especially at historic sites, restaurants, on buses, trains and the London Underground (the “Tube,” or subway). Thieves often target unattended cars parked at tourist sites and roadside restaurants, looking for laptop computers and hand-held electronic equipment, especially global positioning satellite equipment. Walking in isolated areas, including public parks, especially after dark, should also be avoided, as these provide advantageous venues for muggers and thieves. At night or when there is little foot traffic, travelers should be especially careful using the underground pedestrian tunnels. As a general rule, either walk the extra distance to use a surface crossing or wait until there are other adult pedestrians entering the tunnel.

In London, travelers should use only licensed “black taxi cabs,” or car services recommended by their hotel or tour operator. Unlicensed taxis or private cars posing as taxis may offer low fares, but are often uninsured and may have unlicensed drivers. In some instances, travelers have been robbed and raped while using these cars. You can access 7,000 licensed “Black Cabs” using just one telephone number – 0871 871 8710. This taxi booking service combines all six of London’s radio taxi circuits, allowing you to telephone 24 hours a day if you need to “hail a cab.” Alternatively, to find a licensed minicab, text “HOME” to 60835 on your mobile phone to get the telephone number to two licensed minicab companies in the area. If you know in advance what time you will be leaving for home, you can pre-book your return journey. The “Safe Travel at Night” partnership among the Metropolitan Police, Transport for London, and the Mayor of London maintains a website with additional information at http://www.cabwise.com/.

Travelers should not leave drinks unattended in bars and nightclubs. There have been some instances of drinks being spiked with illegal substances, leading to incidents of robbery and rape.

Due to the circumstances described above, visitors should take steps to ensure the safety of their U.S. passports. Visitors in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Gibraltar are not expected to produce identity documents for police authorities and thus may secure their passports in hotel safes or residences. Abundant ATMs that link to U.S. banking networks offer an optimal rate of exchange and they preclude the need to carry a passport to cash travelers’ checks. Travelers should be aware that U.S. banks might charge a higher processing fee for withdrawals made overseas. Common sense personal security measures utilized in the U.S. when using ATMs should also be followed in the UK. ATM fraud in the UK is becoming more sophisticated, incorporating technologies to surreptitiously record customer ATM card and PIN information. Travelers should avoid using ATMs that look in any way “temporary” in structure or location, or that are located in isolated areas. Travelers should be aware that in busy public areas, thieves use distraction techniques, such as waiting until the PIN number has been entered and then pointing to money on the ground, or attempting to hand out a free newspaper. When the ATM user is distracted, a colleague will quickly withdraw cash and leave. If distracted in any way, travelers should press the cancel transaction button immediately and collect their card before speaking to the person who has distracted them. If the person’s motives appear suspicious, travelers should not challenge them but remember the details and report the matter to Police as soon as possible. In addition, travelers should not use the ATM if there is anything stuck to the machine or if it looks unusual in any way. If the machine does not return the card, report the incident to the issuing bank immediately."

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

They left out the bit about driving on the wrong side, the single most dangerous thing about the UK.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

There's an entire other section about that.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

Most that advice is pretty sound, though some on the end of absurd caution (temporary looking ATMs are pretty common in New York now though).

I have been mugged in London for using my phone and seen it happen to another five people, yet have never seen anything like it here.

Is it me, or is Rogin's bit.... not really there?

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

Rogin's bit is a typical urban legend variation on the type of basic "rubes in the big city" advice that State is providing.

There isn't much market for stolen mobiles in New York (or the US in general). Not sure why that is the case, but it may have something to do with the degree of mobile fetishness being generally higher in the UK than the US. Kids do get mugged for clothes (primarily sneakers and jackets) with some degree of regularity, though.

Comment

Getting Robbed In Paris

EIM wrote:
                                            But the French are a naturally suspect people. Those dark, close-set, beady eyes, always darting around the place, looking for an opportunity. The unnaturally long fingers, enabling them to snatch a pocket-book, purse or passport without even disturbing your clothing. Their freakishly sticky finger-tips, that attach themselves on to your possessions and refuse to let go.

And worse still comes out with the moon. Have you seen The Hunchback of Notre Dame/Phantom of the Opera/American Werewolf in Paris?

No, if I were fifepride, I too would be nervous.
                                            One of EIM's Frenchmen, yesterday:

Comment

Working...
                                            X