These bloody migrants, building theatres and shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparent outrage in today's Daily Star that the residents of 'the jungle', the migrant camp in Calais, far from being simply watercanonned into the Channel by the French, have been busy building things like shops, markets, children's play areas, a library, a theatre and a community wi-fi hub station. Our village could do with pretty much all of those ...

Have you been?

Comment

I am glad that you put the quote marks there, Rogin. That phrase has become acceptable to use and I do not like the dehumanising of the other inherent in it, leave alone the 50s 'natives' style echo.

Comment

Having trouble reconciling that facility-rich environment conjured up in Rogin's post with this medical bulletin:

http://www.womensviewsonnews.org/2015/12/a-gps-journey-to-the-calais-jungle/

Comment

Oh, I don't doubt it's still terrible, really, probably the more so for being visited for a few hours by British GPs handing out plasters before having to get on their train home to write about their traumatic experiences. I seriously doubt the refugees are getting much top-level legal or tax advice, either.

What amazed me - and the point I was trying to make - is that these people, in spite of that, and every other deprivation they have gone through, have apparently done something for their new "community" that if we'd dumped 6,000 average Brits into a field and left us there, we wouldn't have stood a chance of doing. And these are the people we DON'T want to let in, instead.

And Bored, when I refer to "my village", it's not "a 50s style echo" meaning anything other than I LIVE in a village.

Comment

Ha ha, you know, I meant 'the jungle'.

Didn't you?

Comment

Bored, yeah, of course. If I can guarantee one thing that if it's said on here it'll never be said in anger. Not by me. Or by you, I know. From experience. Which makes this such a nice place. A perfect place. OTF is, really, the community we all want to live in. Who could, you know, teach. Or build (and stock) libraries. And shops. And play areas. And then maybe schools. But maybe not fucking wi-fi-cafes. But there you go.

Comment

Working...
              X