Drills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drills

On the militia/guns thread, the changing zeitgeist was mentioned: kids in American schools not doing nuclear fallout drills any more, but preparing for crazy shooters instead.

Although these threats vary, the response to all of them seems to be getting under the desk - if your classroom still has one. I don't think anybody cowers under a beanbag.

In New Zealand the enemy is earthquakes. Every child can recite the three words:

In fact there's a far higher risk in Wellington than Auckland (near-certain versus very unlikely), but it's practised nationwide.

In my childhood we obeyed Tufty (Kerb Drill, predating the Green Cross Man) and of course, there were fire drills. This was the only time we were allowed out onto the fire escape, a rickety old iron thing that Tony might have clambered up to woo Maria in West Side Story. Eventually it dawned on the staff that hyperactive kids swarming onto this death trap was going to produce far more casualties than a fire, so the fun was curtailed.

(and ... insert Fawlty Towers clip here)

Drills

Mundane thread crossover episode.

Comment

Drills

I was in a mostly Muslim school the other week and I found myself idly scanning the lock-down drill instructions and am not entirely sure whether it was conscious or not.

Whenever I see them in a school, I feel for those teachers in the US (or other gun toting nutter nations) where it is more of a reality.

Comment

Drills

There's a better than 50 percent chance that tee rex's second photo will go "viral" in the US within the next six months as further "evidence" of the imposition of "Sharia Law" in formerly "safe" places.

Comment

Drills

Ha ha, brilliant.

Comment

Working...
          X