• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can you hear outside?

I'm a lazy poet.

Comment

People.

That's the part that changes it from just a post, to poetry.

Comment

Right now, nothing - it's 2am on a Sunday night. Every couple of minutes a car drives past. About ten minutes ago the binmen came round in their truck along the street a few metres to the south. In an hour or so, more will come to empty the bin on the street we live on, right across the road. Their truck is much louder.

As I type this, what sounds like a bus has stopped at traffic lights outside and has its engine idling.

Comment

This is a great question. 11:30PM on a Sunday night so things are slow on my block. I've got the Dortmund-Stuttgart game loud enough that I won't hear much beyond the front steps. There is still enough time for people to come and go through the front door of my apartment building, which has a shared indoor staircase. The coming and going will make my dog bark (esp. when someone on the top floor takes their dog out one last time).

I'll add two general comments about sound from inside. First, when I was doing research in New York a long time ago, I would stay at my cousin's apartment in the West Village. There was always loud drunks outside singing, smashing TV sets left out for trash pickup, talking loudly. My dreams were always so much more interesting when I was there. Second, when I lived in Tampa, Florida the leaves would fall from the trees would fall around November or December (that's when autumn starts and ends in Florida which has no winter and no spring, just summer for 10 months and autumn for 2 months). The wind would blow some nights and the leaves pushing up into the carport of my dumpy rental house sounded like waves crashing on the beach. It was an amazing sound. I recorded those sounds on a minidisc at some point and this thread reminds me that I should look for that disc when I'm have a chance.

And if anyone is interested in the sound of Chicago's Loop neighborhood (Jackson between State and Wabash) on a Monday night in September.

Comment

Next door have a useless cock which crows in a very strangled way at odd intervals throughout the day. It is doing it's arrgh-a-doodle-darrgh thing right now. A horse cart just went down the road outside. That aside it's absolutely silent. No, wait, some snow just fell off the roof.

Comment

Sits wrote: People.

That's the part that changes it from just a post, to poetry.
              Larkin-esque.

Actually, EIM's involvement reminds me that for 9 months of the year we can hear students as we have lots of student lets up our road. In October, there is usually a precursory party which I have to break up.

Comment

At work: not a thing. There are white noise machines in the building.

At home: we can hear traffic on the interstate. In particular, there is long downhill section so we hear truckers using their airbrakes. (The house next to us is thankfullly empty at the moment, the noisy neighbor who didn't understand basic acoustics moved out.)

In summer cicada 'brood' years, they get so loud they can make it feel like the whole house is vibrating. This is not an exaggeration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb1f-pMUi9Y

Comment

Generally I hear one of two things outside. Wind (I'm pretty high up and it can get blustery) or the electricity substation just below, which emits a steady hum.

Comment

Wind, rain and a KLM Boeing 737.

Comment

Almost nothing right now at 7am. In fact, that's usually the case. I'll hear the occasional dog barking in the neighbourhood, and maybe a car will drive past every 10 minutes or so. If the wind's in the right direction there's the continuous hum of Interstate 5 at a very low level and the occasional toot of a train's horn.

The most exciting stuff we get is - depending on the take-off flightpath - the Top Gun F-18s flying out of Miramar.

Comment

Very loud 747 cargo plane just made a go around.

Comment

San Bernardhinault wrote: If the wind's in the right direction there's the continuous hum of Interstate 5 at a very low level and the occasional toot of a train's horn.

The most exciting stuff we get is - depending on the take-off flightpath - the Top Gun F-18s flying out of Miramar.
                          So is Interstate 5 the highway to the dangerzone?

Comment

Only if your destination is unknown.

Comment

That joke takes my breath away.

Comment

Don't lead me on, hobbes.

Comment

If anyone else wants to listen to Interstate 5

Comment

The woodpecker's back in the park.

Comment

Working...
                                    X