Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your friendly neighbourhood tax office

Will not be there much longer

There are OTFers who will be directly affected by this so their comments will be more relevant than mine (I'm no longer in HMRC). But I used to manage compliance teams in 6 (very small) offices across Hertfordshire, back in the days when there was a tax office in every main town, let alone 1 per region, and it was viewed as an essential local service. How on earth are they going to cover inspections in Truro out of Bristol?

Big simultaneous announcement in all offices across the country at 11.00 this morning. Here in London the smart money is on Stratford and/or Croydon as the eventual hub location, also sucking in large numbers of Southend-based staff. My team and I (working in IT, not front line operatives) will all be retired within 4/5 years, so, on projected timelines, we may be relatively unaffected. No such luck for most though. A cynic might suggest a connection between the timing of the announcement and that of the annual Staff Survey, which has just closed.

Comment

Ask us again in an hour...

Comment

In addition to the employees who will need to travel greater distances or leave the department when their office closes, there will be a devastating impact on the town centres, some of which are in quite deprived areas and rely heavily on HMRC staff for custom.

Comment

Not arf. We close in 2018/19, Stockton 2020/21, which is probably the last office left in the area redeveloped after Thatch's walk in the wilderness and is in Northern Powerhouse minister James Wharton's constituency.

We're screwed, but slowly.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Will not be there much longer

There are OTFers who will be directly affected by this so their comments will be more relevant than mine (I'm no longer in HMRC). But I used to manage compliance teams in 6 (very small) offices across Hertfordshire, back in the days when there was a tax office in every main town, let alone 1 per region, and it was viewed as an essential local service. How on earth are they going to cover inspections in Truro out of Bristol?
            Were you above Burton's and a snooker hall by any chance?

Comment

san2sboro wrote: Not arf. We close in 2018/19, Stockton 2020/21, which is probably the last office left in the area redeveloped after Thatch's walk in the wilderness and is in Northern Powerhouse minister James Wharton's constituency.

We're screwed, but slowly.
              It appears it's all your own fault for being in an "isolated location"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34796299

"HMRC has too many expensive, isolated and outdated offices. This makes it difficult for us to collaborate, modernise our ways of working, and make the changes we need to transform our service to customers and clamp down further on the minority who try to cheat the system," said Lin Homer, HMRC's chief executive.

Comment

Compliance with tax affairs is - was - one of the few free remaining drop-in services the government offers that helped stop you going to prison. This is going to make a lot of local tax accountants suddenly very wealthy.

Comment

Only in the areas that have a tax office. Everywhere else will become an enterprise zone.

Comment

Working...
                  X