Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we have any bartenders or barista here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They won't serve you because all you do is order tap water, yet somehow get absolutely plastered.

Comment

You and I, outside. Now.

Comment

Green Calx wrote:
        Originally posted by Gawpus
        Guinness and their perfect pour shite can piss off an all.
        It's nearly 20 years since I worked as a barman, and I still remember how to do it. It's piss-easy. You just fill the glass up to about the five-sixths mark, wait 90-120 seconds, then finish it off.
        It's not that's it's difficult, it's that it's a pointless affectation. You get exactly the same result if you just pour it like any other pint.

Comment

So what kind of teas are people drinking, is PG still the best among the cheaper big brand orange pekoe/fannings?

I like the darker, more fermented oolongs (which are still less fermented than black teas) and darjeelings for black teas.

Comment

Stella has succeeded in the 'we're a premium brand, honest' shtick here, largely I suspect because their main competition for lager in Argentina in Quilmes, whose 'beer of the people, drink-this-or-you're-not-Argentine' populism is precisely the opposite anyway.

And also probably because Quilmes own the licence to make Stella in Argentina.

Cider is the least wanky thing to pour, unless you're in northern Spain. Just put the pint glass below the tap, upright, and pour. This doesn't stop people trying to pour it like a pint of beer at times, and I once had the pleasure of correcting a manager who wanted to use my pint to demonstrate to a new member of staff how to pour it, and then started doing it wrong. I wouldn't have said anything to him as I'm not convinced it makes any difference (especially as cider is served without a head anyway), but he seemed like a bit of a twat and the new staff member looked like she'd had far too much information for one day anyway, so I waited for him to start and then leant over the bar and said, 'right, but that's cider, not beer. So you don't pour it like that, do you?'

Comment

Gawpus wrote:
              Originally posted by Green Calx
              Originally posted by Gawpus
              Guinness and their perfect pour shite can piss off an all.
              It's nearly 20 years since I worked as a barman, and I still remember how to do it. It's piss-easy. You just fill the glass up to about the five-sixths mark, wait 90-120 seconds, then finish it off.
              It's not that's it's difficult, it's that it's a pointless affectation. You get exactly the same result if you just pour it like any other pint.
              If you're drinking the stale-in-the-pipes swill that often passes for Guinness outside Ireland, then this may - may - be true.

But under proper conditions? Good God, no. Absolute wrong-headed madness.

Nor should "any other pint" be pulled in the same way in any case.

Comment

linus wrote: So what kind of teas are people drinking, is PG still the best among the cheaper big brand orange pekoe/fannings?

I like the darker, more fermented oolongs (which are still less fermented than black teas) and darjeelings for black teas.
                Yorkshire or Yorkshire Gold. Thompson's as well. Thompson's is sound.

Comment

The correct way to pour a Guinness is however the fuck your customer wants you to. I was asked if I was Irish by a load of Irish rugby fans due to the way I poured their pint. Best compliment I ever received behind a bar. And believe me, I got loads. LOADS.

Comment

it's also important that you have the nozzle against the side.

Sure you can pour it into the glass any old way and it will still taste mostly the same, but it won't look right.

Comment

No bubbles in the head.

Comment

We all agree that drawing a shamrock on the top of it is unacceptable right?

Comment

Christ almighty, yes.

Comment

I once had a barmaid draw me a cock on mine with a smily face next to it. And she winked at me as she handed it to me.

Actually, that might have been EIM. I'd had a few.

Comment

She might have drawn EIM on your pint, next to a cock?

Comment

At my open-air sports bar, the only beer I have to pour is Hefeweizen out of a bottle. I don’t go in for this “rolling the bottle around to get the slurry out” stuff, as I’ve been told by a number of proper barmen and barmaids that this is a load of bollocks anyway.

I get a decent head on it, but the problem is that not everybody wants a head on it. Elderly ladies, for example, seem to hate it.

On three separate Sundays, I’ve had three separate Japanese women (or at least I think they’re Japanese) turn up at the hut alone, sit there, alone, and drink four, four and five Hefeweizen respectively. They didn’t say anything about the head. They didn’t say anything at all; they just sat there and necked Hefeweizen for two or three hours.

If I drank five Hefeweizen, I’d be on the verge of being all over the place. I’d probably shit myself as well. But these women seem to be able to get it down them and remain both unsoiled and stone-cold sober.

Comment

EIM wrote:
                                  Originally posted by linus
                                  So what kind of teas are people drinking, is PG still the best among the cheaper big brand orange pekoe/fannings?

Yorkshire or Yorkshire Gold. Thompson's as well. Thompson's is sound.
                                  Twinings English Strong Breakfast.

Comment

Working...
                                  X