Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now, the end is near ...

...for my little old cat, Brisbane.

Booked her in for the final curtain tomorrow night. She's 12, which isn't that old for a cat, but she's always been a tiny weak little thing (barely bigger than a kitten even now) and her kidneys have finally packed in. Pretty much all she does is drink water, wee, cry in pain, and go back to sleep, and I can't face any more of it (she's been like this for six months, despite all the best efforts of various vets).

So tomorrow for the first time in my life I shall be taking a pet for the 'long walk'. Not looking forward to it, really, but it's for the best. Apparently for an extra £25 I could have her ashes sent off to be made into a "diamond", which sounds incredibly macabre. And, the size of her, would probably be a "diamond" the size of a poppy seed.

Oh Rogin. I am so so sorry.

Comment

Really sorry about that, Rogin. I've never had to take one of my cats in to be put down (had one run away, and another killed by a dog), and I don't think I'd be able to handle it. Remember the good times.

Comment

That sucks. But she's had a good run. Remember the good times, indeed.

Comment

Condolences Bud. A very sad day.

Comment

Ah sorry to hear this Rogin. Brought back memories of Jason who I had to take to the vet to be put down 15 months ago.

Give her a little goodnight kiss from everyone on here.

Comment

that's very sad rogin, but good lord, 12 is ancient for a cat. I don't think we ever had a cat that made it past five. Best thing to do is get another kitten.

Comment

I've had the pleasure of taking two dogs to the vet for a spot of euthanasia. Just thinking about it makes me well up. Condolences, Rogin, and good luck.

Comment

that's awful Rogin. Been ignoring mine since she puked up in one room then shat in another this evening, but will let her sit on my lap now.

Comment

Sorry to hear this Rog.

You have probably already though this through, but have your daughters ever lost a pet before?

If you do buy a kitten, maybe let them pick it.

Comment

Commiserations from me too Rogin, we've put too many cats down in our family, nearly all due to old age (two due to illness), which makes it more bearable, but it's still rubbish. And the house will seem a very quiet place for a week or two...

Comment

I've got one of those "three hour timer" things in the kitchen, for baking and what have you. I've just set it, and am looking at my cat, asleep in her little bed. Little does she know what's befalling her later tonight.

Comment

I hate cats but feel for you, Rogin. The last time I cried endless heaving sobs was when I had Elvis the rat put down (I realise that people hate rats like I hate cats)

Put me off having any more pets, certainly ones that have a short but glorious life

Comment

I'm so sorry I missed this earlier, Rogin. You have my deepest sympathies as well. It's such a difficult thing to do, even when you know in your heart it's the right thing to do.

Comment

This thread is horrible. It'll seem like a crazy exaggeration to some (I'm looking at you, TonTon), but I can't imagine life without Roxie, my cat. I honestly think that she's the one part of my life I'm not completely dissatisfied with. Everything else in my life - my job situation, my relationship, where I live, how I live, what I get up to - I want and need to change. But Roxie continually makes me happy. Just the sight of her stupid little face, and her stupid little paws cheers me up. Which is daft as owt, I know, but hey, that's the way it is.

I suppose it's also indicative of greater problems, but let's not go there right now.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean.

Comment

Well, I got it done, and I've stopped crying about it now. The vet, actually, was so apologetic about it that he got me started with the blubbing before he did it - he was saying, "I'm very sorry to have to do this, are you sure? Before I do it? It's a shame, but let's do it, yeah?" And I was saying "yes, it's not your fault, let's get it over with."

I'm amazed at how it happens, though. One punch of the plunger, with some odd looking blue liquid in it, and my little cat simply dropped onto her side, sighed contentedly, stuck her tongue out as though in deep sleep and about ten seconds later that was it. A more peaceful end for her I couldn't have imagined. The line on the bill in the end simply read "euthanasia", and having seen it in action I would be in favour of any politician saying we should have it for people, too.

Comment

Me too, Rogin.

Comment

Oh man, Rogin, you've got me teared up, and I don't even particularly like cats.

Not sure that the ethical implications of human euthanasia are comparable to putting a pet to sleep though. But this thread is not the place for that argument.

Comment

Working...
                                      X