Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There ain't nothing like a Dame.

...anymore. In Australia, at least.

It's a story from yesterday and isn't a huge story as it is just rescinding what the previous PM brought in unilaterally. Of course, it brings up questions for us typical lefty republicans of how Australia is coming into the 21st Century yet we aren't

However, I also posted about it because of a toe-curling moment when Radio 4, of course, invited hilarious Dame Edna Everage on to do the usual schtick who asked Ritula Shah the old "where do you come from?" question to which Shah politely said "North West London. Not one to be stopped, Humphreys carried on questioning her heritage and it all fizzled out embarrassingly. I am not sure where Humphreys was going with it and was wondering whether he was still an alcoholic. Shah was very gracious about it and actually retweeted the segment positively but it made me cringe.

Never mind that shit, did you hear the brilliant documentary about cockroaches this morning?
    Amazing.
    Apparently it's nonsense that they can survive extreme radiation levels better than any other creature in the event of a nuclear apocalypse and they rely solely on humans for the survival of their species.
    Next week is about fleas.

Class.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:

It's a story from yesterday and isn't a huge story as it is just rescinding what the previous PM brought in unilaterally. Of course, it brings up questions for us typical lefty republicans of how Australia is coming into the 21st Century yet we aren't
      I am not sure that is true. Australia re-introduced an archaic honours system in 2014 and then reversed the decision in 2015. Meanwhile it is all pretty pointless bullshit distracting from the fact their economy is struggling.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote:
        Originally posted by Bored of Education

I am not sure that is true. Australia re-introduced an archaic honours system in 2014 and then reversed the decision in 2015.
        I am not entirely sure how you are disagreeing with me there.

Meanwhile it is all pretty pointless bullshit distracting from the fact their economy is struggling.
        Well, so would ours be but I would like to see it nonetheless.

Comment

Republican sentiment is reportedly at it's lowest level in Australia for decades. That is why people thought the time was good for more Monarchy. The idea of less is basically not on the table.

Comment

This is the kind of crap that happens when they lose the Ashes.

Comment

If you can introduce and then abolish an honours system right now I would consider that action considerably more in the dark ages than simply maintaining one that has existed for hundreds of years. At least that pins itself to some historic values even if no one really cares.

Comment

Calvert wrote: Never mind that shit, did you hear the brilliant documentary about cockroaches this morning?
                Amazing.
                Apparently it's nonsense that they can survive extreme radiation levels better than any other creature in the event of a nuclear apocalypse and they rely solely on humans for the survival of their species.

Class.
                Speaking of Royalty, like...

Comment

Does New Zealand still confer Knighthoods? I remember Sir Richard Hadlee and Dame Kiri Te Kanawa getting them.

If so, which of the All Blacks are getting one this Xmas?

Comment

They were abolished by the previous Labour gov't, the current Tories brought them back.

They're actually worse in NZ than in the UK. For starters, if any Kiwi makes a splash internationally, they get one. Name five NZers you've heard of (Peter Jackson, Edmund Hillary, a bunch of ex-All Blacks) and they'll be knights (not many dames). So as a percentage of Brits or Kiwis on the global radar, ours is embarrassingly higher. People in Europe/Asia etc must think "Sir" is the standard honorific in NZ. Plus your average Hollywood-watcher would think Sir lives in Downton Abbey, but god knows where they think ours come from. We're short on stately homes and crests. It totally undermines the country's 'good bloke' self-image.

As for the monarchy ... oh fuck it, don't get me started. Again, worse here than there. Who did "our" Princes support again?

Comment

Working...
                    X