Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I was in this fridge…"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-34698387

But since when did the BBC plug the name of the company in the headline, rather than refer to it as a "sandwich shop" as in the detail?

"Subway worker" to me means something else.

(And probably something else again to our colonial cousins)

"I was in this fridge…"

I think companies/brands such as Subway are so universally-known and all-pervasive these days that the BBC has in recent years jettisoned its previous reluctance to 'name names' in this way. (Had it been McDonald's, for example, you'd probably expect them to say 'McDonald's'.)

That said, I'm not sure this story constitutes a 'plug' as such...

Comment

"I was in this fridge…"

Jah Womble wrote: I think companies/brands such as Subway are so universally-known and all-pervasive these days that the BBC has in recent years jettisoned its previous reluctance to 'name names' in this way. (Had it been McDonald's, for example, you'd probably expect them to say 'McDonald's'.)

That said, I'm not sure this story constitutes a 'plug' as such...
      Then "worker at 'Subway'", surely?

McDonald's couldn't be mistaken for a common noun in the same way a sentence beginning with Subway could, surely?

Comment

"I was in this fridge…"

Oh, I see - I thought you were questioning the branding aspect of it. Well, all I can surmise is that, given how many of these reports are now put together for the BBC's website, I suspect that such potential ambiguities won't especially be prioritised by the subs who put them together. Or indeed even spotted, in many cases.

Comment

"I was in this fridge…"

I think they put the subs together, not the other way around ...

Comment

"I was in this fridge…"

Ha. Not when I'm trying to get served, they don't.

All I want is a Veggie Supreme (or whatever it's called). How hard can it be?

Comment

Working...
            X