TEFL/TESOL courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TEFL/TESOL courses

Do we have anyone who has recently learned teaching English as a second or other language? I'm looking into doing it, not as a career option, but possibly to use it as a volunteer. I'm happy to fund it myself, but I want to make sure I end up on a good course, with a recognised certificate at the end, and not on the wrong end of a scam.

Can anyone offer any advice, as to what I need to look out for?

TEFL/TESOL courses

In the UK the two that have a good reputation are the CELTA and the Trinity Cert. As with anything while those courses are pretty good and cover the bases, the quality experience you have depends somewhat on the trainers you have (and also your classmates).

You're in Norwich now, yes? Go and ask at NILE. they are really good, very highly regarded and do good work (and have very well qualified trainers etc.) I assume they offer a CELTA, but if not they'll be able to advise you

https://www.nile-elt.com/

Comment

TEFL/TESOL courses

Having said all that I realise that this may not be exactly what you are looking for. While the skills are transferrable, the focus of the CELTA usually tends to be towards people who want to teach EFL rather than ESOL. Whereas if you're hoping to volunteer and otherwise (I presume) support immigrants to the Uk with their language needs, I think perhaps there might be something else more directly applicable, probably in the FE sector somewhere. Though not being in the UK I am not entirely sure what (if no-one pops up here with an answer I'll send that question out to my contacts who must have an answer)

Comment

TEFL/TESOL courses

NATECLA will be the professional body that is the best to answer that question, and they seem to suggest that the CELTA/Trinity route is actually the best starting point after all http://www.natecla.org.uk/content/594/Qualifications-for-ESOL-teaching

Comment

TEFL/TESOL courses

As ad hoc says, NILE are without a doubt one of the best teacher training organisations outside the Ih/British Council monopoly for CELTA (don't know much about Trinity, tbh).

Beyond that, AE is probably going to know more than most on this topic in terms of qualifications and paths to take which will actually help you achieve your aims.

Comment

TEFL/TESOL courses

Comment

Working...
            X