Just had a toffee apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had a toffee apple

First of the season. As usual, the stick was fuck all use, coming loose before I even had the thing unwrapped. Nevertheless, a good experience. 6.75/10.

Please add your toffee apple based experiences below.

Just had a toffee apple

EIM wrote: First of the season. As usual, the stick was fuck all use, coming loose before I even had the thing unwrapped. Nevertheless, a good experience. 6.75/10.

Please add your toffee apple based experiences below.
    Unwrapped?

Why aren't you eating it hot, brought to you direct from an honest street vendor, plying his trade before switching to roast chestnuts in advance of the festive season?

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

I don't think I've seen them in Australia. From memory the thick flat toffee at the top (where they rest when setting) was the best bit.

Toffee Apple geeks: why is the toffee red, not brown or gold?

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

Well, for one thing it isn't really 'toffee' as most would recognise it, so much as caramelised sugar (hence the name 'candy apple' elsewhere). I gather that the redness comes from the addition of cinnamon and food colouring.

As for my own eating experiences, I'll have to get back to you. I've not eaten one in at least forty years.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

I just knew that would be in Urban Dictionary.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

Kind of wish I'd not bothered looking that up...

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

I was given a toffee apple at work this morning. As they're vegan, I'm planning to give it to my wife. I may eat a burrito while she's eating it.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

I go for the caramel apples coated in nuts. They're tan not red. Don't trust the red ones.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

Jah Womble wrote: Well, for one thing it isn't really 'toffee' as most would recognise it, so much as caramelised sugar (hence the name 'candy apple' elsewhere). I gather that the redness comes from the addition of cinnamon and food colouring.
                  At first I was going to say that's why we call them caramel apples in the US, but then you mention candy apples. Those are two different things here.

Caramel apple:

Candy apple:

I've seen stands at festivals, farmers market, etc., that do caramel apples by cutting up the apple into slices and then just pouring the caramel sauce on top of that. Makes it much easier to eat, and you get the caramel on the fruit itself, not just the skin.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

I'm definitely pro (red) candy apple vs (tan) toffee apple. The best bit, of course, is the thick, crusty bit at the base where it agglomerated on the tray.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

Inca's lighting finger makes my post look a bit stupid....

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

Sits wrote: I don't think I've seen them in Australia. From memory the thick flat toffee at the top (where they rest when setting) was the best bit.

Toffee Apple geeks: why is the toffee red, not brown or gold?
                        Cos of United.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

thought toffees were blue

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

There's parts of Manchester/Salford where all sweets get called toffees. Mad, that, in my opinion.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

If you google image toffee it's all earth tones. There's a delightful variety though.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

EIM wrote: There's parts of Manchester/Salford where all sweets get called toffees. Mad, that, in my opinion.
                                Kind of like how in the southern US, all sodas are called Coke.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

Funny you should mention this, EIM. I saw the most disgusting concoction available at a local pound-shop. Tawfee, in chocolate, covered in salted popcorn.

Can you imagine dooking for that baby? You would have to have a trick jaw to procure it.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

Incandenza wrote:
                                    Originally posted by EIM
                                    There's parts of Manchester/Salford where all sweets get called toffees. Mad, that, in my opinion.
                                    Or Mountain Dew.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

gerontophile wrote: Funny you should mention this, EIM. I saw the most disgusting concoction available at a local pound-shop. Tawfee, in chocolate, covered in salted popcorn.

Can you imagine dooking for that baby? You would have to have a trick jaw to procure it.
                                      Tofee, chocolate, and salty popcorn sounds great. I'd probably break a tooth trying to eat it, though.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

Incandenza wrote:
                                        Originally posted by EIM
                                        A lot of people come to the D.Q. Burgers, ice cream. Anything, you know? Cokes. Just drive in and get a Coke, if you're thirsty.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

DQ are everywhere, but it would never occur to me to eat there. I don't know who goes there, but someone's keeping them afloat.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

Just do the cones. Make sundaes. Make Blizzards.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

Dairy Queens are actually exceedingly rare in the New York metropolitan area, and are considered by some to be an exotic treat to be sampled while on holiday. I've never been among said some.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

I bet DQ is on Urban Dictionary, too.

Sorry to lower the tone. I don't like toffee apples, but I do bake apples with cinnamon.

Comment

Just had a toffee apple

What New York really is, is it's an island, with lots of people. Lots of different people. I hope to maybe meet some guys, some Italian guys, and maybe watch some TV.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X