Are you a construction worker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is quite the article from a Rhodes scholar detailing his experiences at Oxford University.

Burn the place down.

Comment

detailing his experiences at Oxford University.
      It's all about his experiences at Christ Church. No other part of the university is mentioned. The ethos of colleges within Oxford and Cambridge varies substantially from college to college. I'm no Oxford expert, but I believe that Christ Church is very much at the conservative end of the spectrum there.

Comment

The Ebonics thing, what the fuck?

Comment

Indeed

Comment

Not even sure that would go over at Mississippi State.

Comment

Brunho wrote: The Ebonics thing, what the fuck?
              No joke, but I almost stopped reading at that point because I thought I'd been sucked in by another of those Newsthump satire articles.

Comment

(If you're FB friends with Reed; 50% of his Likes are for Onion/Newsthump articles and 50% are for State College/Christian publications, and it's often hard to tell one from the other until roughly the half-way point.)

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote:
                  detailing his experiences at Oxford University.
                  It's all about his experiences at Christ Church. No other part of the university is mentioned. The ethos of colleges within Oxford and Cambridge varies substantially from college to college. I'm no Oxford expert, but I believe that Christ Church is very much at the conservative end of the spectrum there.
                  Yes, this sounds like a very Christ Church story to me. I don't think he'd have had the same experience at many of the other colleges.

Comment

So, Louise Mensch did not feel out of place there?

I see that the odious Winkelvoi twins also spent time there.

I have to admit that I find the whole phenomenon of rabidly reactionary university students to be quite baffling. There are large amounts of money to be made, which made be all the explanation that is actually needed, but it just seems such an utter waste of one's relative youth.

Comment

A lot of them have had very sheltered lives and seem quite happy to make the journey from school to university to well-paid job without ever questioning their views on the world. That said, even the more 'traditional' colleges aren't quite wall-to-wall Tories as some people might assume.

Comment

Central Rain wrote: A lot of them have had very sheltered lives and seem quite happy to make the journey from school to university to well-paid job without ever questioning their views on the world. That said, even the more 'traditional' colleges aren't quite wall-to-wall Tories as some people might assume.
                        Aren't the more "traditional" colleges wall-to-wall KGB handlers and recruits?

Comment

Nah, that's Cambridge.

Comment

Working...
                          X