The White Moose Cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The White Moose Cafe

What happened when a small eatery in Dublin had a go at vegans on its Facebook page:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/people-are-attacking-this-restaurants-facebook-after-their-s#.xprABo65w

I only know one vegan, but I'd say she would get a good laugh out of this.

The White Moose Cafe

Well, an unnecessary comment turned into a shitshow. I guess he got more business out of it overall, but it seems at the cost of having to deal with all of the abuse.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

But it's fairly obvious from reading his replies that he was relishing the whole thing.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

He sounds like a right bellend. Satirical cafe facebook page? Give over.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Green Calx wrote: But it's fairly obvious from reading his replies that he was relishing the whole thing.
          I guess running a restaurant is a piece of cake, leaves you plenty of time to wind people up on social media.

Somehow I have a feeling that if a vegan called ahead of time to ask that they be able to prepare something for them, that he'd go "Can you believe the nerve of this person? Calling ahead to make us start working now before they come in?!"

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Having worked for years in restaurants, I'm on his side on this one. You honestly can't imagine the stupidity of the requests you deal with.

I remember one ass who came in, briefly glanced at the menu and started bellowing (all in one sentence) "Do you have ribs?Where are the ribs?I can't see ribs?Why don't you have ribs?" And I patiently had to explain that you couldn't sell everything, and that we had roughly 110 dishes that (unfortunately) weren't ribs.

And yeah, vegans like to make a spectacle of the fact that you don't offer a wide variety of things that don't have mothers and are organic and non GMO at the same time.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

They don't all. I encounter more meat-eaters wanting to rub in your face how they don't give a shit about cruelty.

http://www.ecorazzi.com/2015/03/12/watch-if-vegans-said-things-meat-eaters-say/#.VjOT2t4jngA

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Incandenza wrote:
                Originally posted by Green Calx
                But it's fairly obvious from reading his replies that he was relishing the whole thing.
                I guess running a restaurant is a piece of cake, leaves you plenty of time to wind people up on social media.
                I wouldn't say any of those posts took him more than a minute or two to write, unless he's an incredibly slow typist or something.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

MsD wrote: They don't all.
                  My generalizations are rarely meant to imply 'every last one of them'.

I encounter more meat-eaters wanting to rub in your face how they don't give a shit about cruelty.
                  What on earth would that look like?

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Really?

To save me time, I identify with this post:

https://m.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/t32r7/vegetariansvegans_of_reddit_are_meat_eaters/

(I don't eat meat but eat some fish, and was vegetarian most of my life.)

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Ah. By 'wanting to rub it in your face', I was picturing a more sinister "Mwahahaha...I'm eating dead chicken babies...and I'm loving it!"

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

The guy's a cunt.

First off his pass overaggressive bullshit about an imaginary enemy, with the nonsensical addition that he expects vegans to give advance notice when going to his café (I mean, a restaurant perhaps...)

Secondly the absolutely banterrific threat to shoot dead any vegans attempting to enter his establishment. Positively Swiftian.

What a cunt.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

WOM wrote: Ah. By 'wanting to rub it in your face', I was picturing a more sinister "Mwahahaha...I'm eating dead chicken babies...and I'm loving it!"
                          I have experienced exactly that.

Some of my best friends are vegans and I have never seen them start an argument about it. I've heard plenty of people go on about "self-righteous vegans pushing their beliefs down our throats", but have never actually experienced it. I'm sure they do exist but I've never met any.

I have encountered several people, at social events, saying things like "yum, yum, dead piggy, mmmm, delicious dead pig .... all dead for me" and looking round to see if people are reacting. Or more usually, saying in a challenging way "so, you don't eat meat?" and trying to pick a fight with someone just because they've ordered a veggie dish.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Me too. It gets really dull, really quickly.

Trying to order veggie food in France – especially in the magret/foie-gras lovin' south west – is an exercise in resilience. No, I don't eat seafood. No, I can't pick out the lardons. No, I won't pay ten euros for an omelette.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

george clarts wrote: Secondly the absolutely banterrific threat to shoot dead any vegans attempting to enter his establishment. Positively Swiftian.
                              Erm, he's hardly being entirely serious.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Me three.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

And then fucking brain-dead shit about 'oh yeah? Well HOW COME we have teeth, then, eh? Eh?'

You might not have teeth much longer if you want to continue this dreary line of horseshit.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

MsD wrote: I have encountered several people, at social events, saying things like "yum, yum, dead piggy, mmmm, delicious dead pig .... all dead for me" and looking round to see if people are reacting. Or more usually, saying in a challenging way "so, you don't eat meat?" and trying to pick a fight with someone just because they've ordered a veggie dish.
                                    Wow. I guess I'm less of an insufferable c*nt than I thought I was. When Gramsci and I met Etienne for dinner, he ordered vegetarian (as he is) and we both went "yeah, we'll have that too". It was marvellous. I can't imagine calling someone out for it, or doing the 'dead piggy' thing. Sounds like bigger issues at play there.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Usually it's people saying 'oh, good for you, but I could NEVER stop eating meat'.

Our café-owning friend doesn't deserve the publicity. The veganers should just give his establishment a wide berth.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Calvert and laverte, did you see the video on the first link I put up?

If vegetarians said the things that meat-eaters say ...

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

I can't access it for some reason.
                                          I'm guessing I've just repeated a few of the clichés?

I'll try later when I get nearer some decent wifi.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Green Calx wrote: But it's fairly obvious from reading his replies that he was relishing the whole thing.
                                            I didn't get that from it at all: it read like a classic - if inverse - case of 'protesteth too loud'. For a business-owner, he allowed his profanities to get the better of him and didn't come across as enjoying it anywhere near as much as he claimed. (5,000 hate posts on your site might raise publicity, but it can't help custom, tbh.)

That isn't to say that I'd be on the side of the vegans, however - the first of whom doesn't seem to know the difference between 'idiosyncratic' and 'idiotic'. If I were vegan, I'd always be likely to check what a restaurant/cafe serves before showing up, if I'm honest. (Depending upon where one is in the world, it can be hard enough being veggie...)

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

I thought the first post he made was reasonable enough. I'd be surprised and disappointed if I went somewhere and there was no veggie option, but if I was vegan I'd not just walk in and expect something to be available.

After that, it just got a bit pathetic on both sides.

I don't find I get many meat eaters going on about lovely meat around me, but it's certainly not unknown.

More common is having to justify my dietary choices which happens far more often than me trying to persuade people to go veggie (ie sometimes compared to never). I generally say it was to impress a girl.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

Green Calx wrote:
                                                Originally posted by george clarts
                                                Secondly the absolutely banterrific threat to shoot dead any vegans attempting to enter his establishment. Positively Swiftian.
                                                Erm, he's hardly being entirely serious.
                                                Yeah, no shit. I presumed that was covered by my use of the words "banterrific" and "Swiftian". A jokey threat is still a threat. Anyone who can't see that, of course, needs their bastard head kicking in.

Comment

The White Moose Cafe

I think I've had that veggie platter every time I've been back to C'est What? since. In fact, I tend to get the veggie option most days at lunch, whether it's sushi or pizza. And I blame you, of course.

[To Etienne, like.]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X