To Baptise or Not To Baptise . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dalliance wrote: Ah, that common and fairly ridiculous canard that if we didn't have religion to lay it all down for us, we would be a planet of savages wholly incapable of working out any sort of moral framework in which to co-exist harmoniously with our fellow man.
    It's a funny thing though, isn't it? We had centuries of morals guided by religious instruction and, what, 300 years of progressing secularism? It's an interesting thought experiment to come up with morals that would come up with in a completely historically secular world. As we are apparently hardwired (or whatever the phrase it) to be philanthropic, I expect murder would be out. Incest would be out. Stealing would be out. What about adultery or monogamy though? I have often said that I wonder whether cannibalism of non-murdered non-infectious corpses is a bit of an oddity and, certainly, something that has been practiced in societies that have no link to Western religion if, indeed, religion at all. Non-eating of pork or beef may be out but, in saying that, maybe vegetarianism would be the norm. Maybe not.

As I say, it is an interesting philosophical thought experiment but we could just call the Catholics cunts.

Comment

You could but then you would be what is commonly known as a simplistic idiot

Comment

Point. Missed.

Comment

Working...
        X