Terrible pub signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible pub signs

Just in case you weren't clear which one it's named after ...it's all three!

-

Terrible pub signs

That picture doesn't look real to me. Where is this alleged public house?

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Here, doubting Stumpy.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Oh well, it's only Suffolk. Two-hundred years of why you shouldn't marry your cousin.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

But hold on. I don't see this alleged sign on Google Street View.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Put your bloody glasses on, then, because it's there!

Sheesh! :-/

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Well, I've checked the front of the pub and both sides. Where is this mystical sign exactly?

Comment

Terrible pub signs

It's been forged.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Why the hell would you call a pub 'The Vulcan Arms' anyway?

I mean, how to put off 80% of your passing trade.

(Or 'alienate', if you like...)

Comment

Terrible pub signs

linus wrote: It's been forged.
                    Very good.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Jah Womble wrote: Why the hell would you call a pub 'The Vulcan Arms' anyway?
                      As it appears to be in Sizewell, I suggest they rename it The Moon Under Heavy Water.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Well, I've checked the front of the pub and both sides. Where is this mystical sign exactly?
                        Up the road a bit in the middle of the driveway. I think it's a shame that Vulcan is about to stave in Spock's skull with his hammer.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

evilC wrote: Put your bloody glasses on, then, because it's there!

Sheesh! :-/
                          I'm very sorry evilC, but you're right. I just didn't realise it was fifteen metres down the road.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

linus wrote: It's been forged.
                            Earworm.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

I just read, in a supps direct bcc email of all places, that there's going to be a last-ever Vulcan Jet flyover around the North today.

Anyways, the Hungry Horse pub brand signs are generally terrible, if that's your bag.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Comment

Terrible pub signs

slackster wrote: I just read, in a supps direct bcc email of all places, that there's going to be a last-ever Vulcan Jet flyover around the North today.

Anyways, the Hungry Horse pub brand signs are generally terrible, if that's your bag.
                                  Around parts of the south, west and Wales tomorrow too. Avonmouth bridge apparently being the best place to see it nearest to my surroundings.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Details of the Vulcan flights today and tomorrow are here should anyone be interested. Can't find any detailed timings but they take off today at 1300.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

When I was aged about seven (it was before family moved us down to Torquay which was in what is now year 4, ie aged 8 going on 9), one game I used ot play with my little sister was called Pubs.

We went into different rooms in the house pretending we were going to pubs. We'd pretend to play darts, have a drink, play cards etc, and do pub things.

One of the rules was, when you exited the pub, you'd change the name of the pub, whic was displayed by sellotaping the name to the door or to a relevant space. There was a big bag full of pub names which we had written down on a piece of paper.

I can only remember two pub names we used. The Lorry (no idea why that stuck) and The Woman's Bosoms.

Sadly, this bag of names is no longer with us, so you'll have to imagine the pub signage, written in big crayon.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

I love that post. The story itself is great, but the clarifying digression in parenthesis gives it the magic.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

And here was me thinking this was a return to the "Labour in Vain" thread.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

I'm sure KGR could have a go at recreating the sign for "The Woman's Bosoms".

That's a word you don't [strike]come across[/strike] find often these days.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

I seem to remember that this sign was more similar to "The Black Boy" sign when I lived in Putney.

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Now, this is what I'm talking about! Signs that look like they have been painted by a 12-year-old ...reluctantly!

-

-

I don't know if it's unique to my home town of Farnham, but about 10 years ago at least three of the pubs in the town centre all had signs that make that one look professional. They were awful! Made me want to tell people to stay away from the place ...and not for all the other usual reasons!

Comment

Terrible pub signs

Comment

Working...
                                                  X