Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddles

Saddles

I wonder sometimes if the poster known as 'Guy Potger' is, in fact, a bot created by some MIT students.

Comment

Saddles

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I wonder sometimes if the poster known as 'Guy Potger' is, in fact, a bot created by some MIT students.
      So do I…

PS. Missing comma after the “sometimes”…

Comment

Saddles

Comment

Saddles

z = x3 – 3xy2

Comment

Saddles

Guy Potger wrote:
            Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys
            I wonder sometimes if the poster known as 'Guy Potger' is, in fact, a bot created by some MIT students.
            So do I…

Well, to be picky, before and after sometimes. (Same treatment as with "in fact".)

Comment

Saddles

WOM wrote:
              Originally posted by Guy Potger
              Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys
              So do I…

Well, to be picky, before and after sometimes. (Same treatment as with "in fact".)
              I'm not convinced. But. And here's the thing, I wouldn't have raised it had it not been for the commas before and after "in fact".

Comment

Saddles

Then you were inconsistent at best, and incorrect at worst.

Sorry, but pedantry isn't a sport for the feint of heart.

Comment

Saddles

Although I don't like saying things like this:

WOM is right.

Comment

Saddles

Look at the international advertising & copywriters union loyalties kicking in.

Comment

Saddles

WOM wrote: Then you were inconsistent at best, and incorrect at worst.

Sorry, but pedantry isn't a sport for the feint of heart.
                      But there's no pause before the sometimes -

“I wonder sometimes if…” is a natural way to say that clause.

“I wonder sometimes if…” isn’t

And I dispute your assertion.

Comment

Saddles

It's an adverbial conjunction.

When you use however, furthermore or therefore as intensifiers or for emphasis, you need commas around both sides of them.

We, however, do not agree with the verdict.

Comment

Saddles

You don't hear a pause before 'sometimes'? I certainly do.

And, of course, treibeis is very smart and dglh's bum smells.

Comment

Saddles

WOM is right, though the whole tedious discussion could have been avoided with a more judicious placement of the adverb ("I sometimes wonder...")

Comment

Saddles

caja-dglh wrote: Look at the international advertising & copywriters union loyalties kicking in.
                              I've been accused of a lot of things in my time, but that's the worst yet.

Comment

Saddles

Fussbudget wrote: WOM is right, though the whole tedious discussion could have been avoided with a more judicious placement of the adverb ("I sometimes wonder...")
                                I wouldn't have bothered with an adverb to start with.

Comment

Saddles

WOM wrote: It's an adverbial conjunction.

When you use however, furthermore or therefore as intensifiers or for emphasis, you need commas around both sides of them.

No it’s not; it’s essential to the meaning of the sentence - and not used as an intensifier - as it could have been written “Sometimes I wonder…” without losing any of its meaning. The “in fact” is, er, “in fact” a parenthesis. Whereas the “sometimes” is not.

(Edit. Missed the sodding semi-colon after the “not”. “Hoist” and “Petard” there!)

Comment

Saddles

treibeis wrote:
                                    Originally posted by caja-dglh
                                    Look at the international advertising & copywriters union loyalties kicking in.
                                    I've been accused of a lot of things in my time, but that's the worst yet.
                                    Come now. Think harder.

Comment

Saddles

What a disappointing thread: nothing much about saddles at all.

Luckily I am repairing to my ancestral homeland for the weekend, where every street corner boasts an array of skilled artisans hand stitching world renowned horse cushions. There a sensible discussion in the subject is to be had.

Comment

Saddles

Guy Potger wrote:
                                        Originally posted by WOM

No it’s not it’s essential to the meaning of the sentence - and not used as an intensifier - as it could have been written “Sometimes I wonder…” without losing any of its meaning. The “in fact” is, er, “in fact” a parenthesis. Whereas the “sometimes” is not.
                                        You're mistaken. It's exactly the same. If it weren't essential to the sentence, you wouldn't have included it.

Comment

Saddles

Benjm wrote: What a disappointing thread: nothing much about saddles at all.

Luckily I am repairing to my ancestral homeland for the weekend, where every street corner boasts an array of skilled artisans hand stitching world renowned horse cushions. There a sensible discussion in the subject is to be had.
                                          There’s no reason for you to be lumbered with it though…

Comment

Saddles

WOM wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Guy Potger
                                            Originally posted by WOM

No it’s not it’s essential to the meaning of the sentence - and not used as an intensifier - as it could have been written “Sometimes I wonder…” without losing any of its meaning. The “in fact” is, er, “in fact” a parenthesis. Whereas the “sometimes” is not.
                                            You're mistaken. It's exactly the same. If it weren't essential to the sentence, you wouldn't have included it.
                                            Or, rather, 'he' wouldn't have included it. Here I am blaming you for Stumpy's shit sentence...

Comment

Saddles

Anyhoo. Far more importantly - can anyone identify which airline Russ Conway’s been flying with in the original post?

Comment

Saddles

Benjm wrote: What a disappointing thread: nothing much about saddles at all.
                                                My mother's maiden name was Brooks. I wonder, sometimes, whether I'm related to the Brooks who founded the Brooks saddle company.

Because if I am, I might be worth a fucking fortune.

Comment

Saddles

treibeis wrote: Because, if I am, I might be worth a fucking fortune.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X