Passes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passes

Fussbudget wrote: Yeah, it makes some sense for childcare purposes, but isn't Bored's lad a teenager? (Not that I'm trying to have a pop at Bored here, more that I didn't read the OP as being framed that way because of it.)
    Although, obviously, a weekend away presents child care issues even- or, perhaps, especially - when they are teenagers, this is more in the context of when kids are younger. Having said this, we all have our negotiations and compromises in relationships.
    You'll note that I also didn't say anything about gender.
    I did hence my edit

Comment

Passes

E10 Rifle wrote: Nor did I
      My mistake so sorry, we all seem to be on the same page but I read your 'Thread Vietnam' comment incorrectly

Comment

Passes

No passes, just long term planning.

I get a week biking, and she gets at least 1 week kayaking. (And that means I can bike as much as I want.

Comment

Passes

I'll clip them to a lapel if necessary, but never wear them medallion-style.

Comment

Passes

Snail Pass in the Andes

Comment

Passes

Russell Wilson

Comment

Passes

I remember one lady on Mastermind who had at least fifteen. It took Magnus longer to go through the answers, IIRC.

Comment

Passes

Michael Morgan

Comment

Passes

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote: Mildly surprised nobody's mentioned this yet.

I would have thought this was more otf's level…

Comment

Passes

Like Billy, I've made them, at women of all classes. (Though not when I was teaching, obv; that would be unprofessional.)

Earworm.

Comment

Passes

The "pass" thing is a weird thing really, I've bumped into blokes whose partner enforced strict relationship discipline and issues those silly "passes"...The results were predictable.

Comment

Passes

Moonlight shadow wrote: The "pass" thing is a weird thing really, I've bumped into blokes whose partner enforced strict relationship discipline and issues those silly "passes"...The results were predictable.
                          They're a real thing?

Comment

Passes

E10 Rifle wrote: This thread doesn't strike me as a very good idea.

Still, we've not had a proper Thread Vietnam for a while
                            You do now:

Ma Pi Leng Pass

And eight others, including Cao Bang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVisnPxUU50

Comment

Passes

linus wrote:

Never mind passes, those hillside paddy fields are a thing of wonder, a marvel of engineering given the tools most of the farmers had at their disposal.

Comment

Passes

Guy Potger wrote:
                                Originally posted by Moonlight shadow
                                The "pass" thing is a weird thing really, I've bumped into blokes whose partner enforced strict relationship discipline and issues those silly "passes"...The results were predictable.
                                They're a real thing?
                                Yes, I am quite surprised about that. To be honest, the classification in the opening passage was a light-hearted conversation amongst friends that became ironic terms between me and my wife.

The thought that they are serious terms that are used in relationships is slightly disturbing.

Comment

Passes

The term 'getting a pass' is/was a common piss take in the forces.

It stems from back in the day when service personnel needed a pass to get off base. In fact when I joined in '87 I was allowed two 48 hour passes on top of my annual leave entitlement. They were abolished sometime in the 90s I think.

So anybody who rarely went out socially was said to have got a pass from their partner. I've heard it used on females, but it was mainly a bloke thing.

I must say I've never heard said amongst my 'civvy' friends and this is the first time I've heard of it in that context.

Comment

Passes

I don't think it was meant entirely seriously but still those chaps would not be off very often at weekends without their partner and being let off the "leash" seemed to be a cue to all sorts of idiotic behaviour.

Comment

Passes

NickSTFU wrote: The term 'getting a pass' is/was a common piss take in the forces.

It stems from back in the day when service personnel needed a pass to get off base. In fact when I joined in '87 I was allowed two 48 hour passes on top of my annual leave entitlement. They were abolished sometime in the 90s I think.

So anybody who rarely went out socially was said to have got a pass from their partner. I've heard it used on females, but it was mainly a bloke thing.

I must say I've never heard said amongst my 'civvy' friends and this is the first time I've heard of it in that context.
                                      It's how I know the phrase, and always thought it was common currency with anyone who had ever met someone who had served in the armed forces.

It's become common currency, in much the same way any group of friends will pick up the neologisms each of the others use?

Comment

Passes

Ah, that is OK. I literally used a term that only my friends and I used. As an experiment, I said to the wife "Are you on a platinum pass this Saturday?" (She was going to a friend's birthday in London. Not a flicker as she answered.

Comment

Passes

Guy Potger wrote:
                                          Originally posted by NickSTFU
                                          The term 'getting a pass' is/was a common piss take in the forces.

It's how I know the phrase, and always thought it was common currency with anyone who had ever met someone who had served in the armed forces.

It's become common currency, in much the same way any group of friends will pick up the neologisms each of the others use?
                                          Ha. I use the term 'chit' (as in 'note' which I'm sure you knew) a lot.

I phoned a friend yesterday who is ill and he told me he's got a sick chit from the doc.

Comment

Working...
                                          X