X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Bosnia then...

Putting this in World as well as Football, just in case :

Anyone ever been there?

A large group of us fly to Sarajevo on Friday morning and then go on to Zenica Saturday morning for the Wales game.

We were looking to find some live sport to watch on Friday night/early Saturday but that appears to be a non-starter so will probably settle for watching the rugby prior to the actual match in a friendly bar that has been scouted for us.

Any recommendations for either city welcomed though.

So, Bosnia then...

Haven't been since th 80s, and the city which is great, has changed just a bit.

The NYT recently ran a feature on Sarajevo, which I will post when I get to a laptop.

You should eat street food

Comment

So, Bosnia then...

The recent NYT feature: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/travel/sarajevo-tourism-history.html?action=click&contentCollection=Travel &pgtype=imageslideshow&module=RelatedArticleList&r egion=CaptionArea&version=SlideCard-1

One from 2013: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/travel/36-hours-in-sarajevo-bosnia-and-herzegovina.html

Comment

So, Bosnia then...

I have a good friend who works at the British Embassy in Sarajevo. I'll ask him for you.

Comment

So, Bosnia then...

Sarajevo's gorgeous. the old/Turkish bit is stunning and a great place to hang out drink coffeee/tea/booze, eat borek, etc.

Comment

So, Bosnia then...

ad hoc wrote: Sarajevo's gorgeous. the old/Turkish bit is stunning and a great place to hang out drink coffeee/tea/booze, eat borek, etc.
            This. It reminded me of Bursa.

There's a great little cafe run by an ex Galatasaray player full of football memorabilia in that area, can't remember his name though. He played for them in the 90s iirc.

Comment

So, Bosnia then...

ad hoc wrote: Sarajevo's gorgeous. the old/Turkish bit is stunning and a great place to hang out drink coffeee/tea/booze, eat borek, etc.
              Yep, eating borek and cevapcici are the first two on the list. Travelling around the country is a joy in itself, albeit one that can leave you a bit white knuckled if being driven in a shaky bus that has no business going that fast on a mountain road.

The local pivo is one of the better ones in that part of the world too.

Comment

So, Bosnia then...

Thanks all, some good tips there. Will read and circulate those NYT pieces.

Comment

So, Bosnia then...

Comment

So, Bosnia then...

Not too many bars that you would normally recognise past the centre, though doubtless enterprising locals will be on hand to help the thirsty hordes.

Two points of interest, given the short time you're probably there are the Princip Museum which was tiny and also the fairly small exhibition dedicated to the recent siege, which may be out towards the airport?

Comment

So, Bosnia then...

Sounds like Jesus on the other thread is more of a local, so listen to him instead.

Comment

So, Bosnia then...

You're doing great.

Comment

Working...
                        X