Favourite biscuit name and shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite biscuit name and shame

Crusoe wrote: I have never seen an angrier waiter. "THIS IS A BREWERY! WE DO NOT SERVE WINE!"
    I was in a pub in St. Pauli once when a bloke asked for a KiBa (half banana nectar, half cherry nectar). The barman asked him whether somebody had "shat in his brain".

Comment

Question for the panel: is millionaire's shortbread a biscuit?

Comment

It's a tray-bake

Comment

I suppose it is. Ok, I'll stick with what I've got there, but as you can tell, I had some excellent millionaire's today. Good enough to reconsider one's OTF profile.

This thread is a fun re-read. I do wonder if the guy on the train was eating a two- or four-finger Kit-Kat wrongly and I guess we'll never know.
          ​​​​​​

Comment

I'm glad this thread was revived so I could laugh like a drain at treibeis's KiBa anecdote.

I came across a lot of those collectable mustard glasses with cartoon characters mentioned earlier in the thread in Belgium a few weeks ago. Looking back the mind boggles at how much mustard we must have been eating as a family to have so many of those in the house (and we had multiple types of mustards in the fridge as well, only one of which came in that style of jar. Absolute mustard maniacs)

Comment

This whole thread is a true Treibeis tour de force.

As for the opening post of this thread, I'm afraid that I don't eat biscuits very often any more as I just find them too sweet. I did like ginger nut biscuits, also bourbon creams, but I'd sooner eat a lump of dark chocolate. I know that your taste buds change quite a lot, but I started eating bourneville when I was around 11 because cadbury's in ireland essentially closed, and we suddenly realised that the english version of cadburys was extremely sweet.

My Neighbour's kid makes biscuits and they're amazing, but her dad (Who was a chef) takes one look at the recipes she downloads, usually from american websites, and cuts the sugar to about a third, They're still plenty sweet, but he is startled by the 'creep' in the level of sugar from the time he was doing his training.

Comment

At least you will always have a fallback

https://www.grubstreet.com/2014/12/m...sommelier.html

Comment

A blank squire?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    This whole thread is a true Treibeis tour de force.

As for the opening post of this thread, I'm afraid that I don't eat biscuits very often any more as I just find them too sweet. I did like ginger nut biscuits, also bourbon creams, but I'd sooner eat a lump of dark chocolate. I know that your taste buds change quite a lot, but I started eating bourneville when I was around 11 because cadbury's in ireland essentially closed, and we suddenly realised that the english version of cadburys was extremely sweet.

My Neighbour's kid makes biscuits and they're amazing, but her dad (Who was a chef) takes one look at the recipes she downloads, usually from american websites, and cuts the sugar to about a third, They're still plenty sweet, but he is startled by the 'creep' in the level of sugar from the time he was doing his training.
                    Cadbury ireland still make those wee bars of mint crisp/golden crisp that have long been discontinued in the UK though (which i mostly remember as giant bars on sale at the sweetie counter of chippies). I send my sister emergency mint crisp packages through the post now she can no longer get them in the foreign foods aisle at tesco.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                      I'm glad this thread was revived so I could laugh like a drain at treibeis's KiBa anecdote.

I came across a lot of those collectable mustard glasses with cartoon characters mentioned earlier in the thread in Belgium a few weeks ago. Looking back the mind boggles at how much mustard we must have been eating as a family to have so many of those in the house (and we had multiple types of mustards in the fridge as well, only one of which came in that style of jar. Absolute mustard maniacs)
                      We get a type of Polish mustard that comes in mini beer glasses and keep them glasses as they're just the right size for the kids to hold. We have about five of them by now which is quite surprising as it's only really MrB who eats any mustard. I used to occasionally put it in macaroni cheese but I rarely make that any more due to my triglycerides.

Comment

Millionaire shortbread is a slice. In fact in these parts it’s known as a caramel slice.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramel_shortbread

I can't recall ever having seen such a thing, though it is very much not by jam

As the article notes, they would likely be "caramel squares" here

Comment

Its caramel shortbread or very occasionally caramel slice in Scotland, this millionaire's prefix is a load of old shite imo.

Comment

Caramel shortbread to me, too. And I love it, something I'll eat when back in the UK and the opportunity presents itself. Never seen it in the US.
                              I suppose I could try making it, but given its deliciousness that might not be the best idea.

Comment

If someone said "caramel shortbread" to me I wouldn't be expecting the chocolate on top. I wouldn't stop to wonder at how it would be structured or contained - perhaps caramel sandwiched between shortbread? I would be surprised (and depending on my mood either delighted or disappointed) to find chocolate snuck in by some rogue actor who forgot to include it in the description.

Comment

with these literal interpretations I wonder what you would expect with a millionaire shortbread

perhaps that someone had made a typo and it was millionaire sweetbread

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                    Oreos are shit - the biscuit tastes of that weird synthetic chocolate Americans seem to think is acceptable (like Hershey's - BLECHH!) while the filling is toothpaste without the minty freshness.
                                    Eight and a half years later, I feel more correct about this than anything else I have ever posted on OTF. Even more so with their increasing ubiquity on these shores.

Comment

They are fucking rubbish, them and reeses cups. American pancakes, cornbread, these are things needed over in these desolate islands. But the only country in the world with worse chocolate or biscuits exporting their shite into ubiquity, it would make you weep. Theres fuckin milka bars cut with oreos now, fentanyl would be more welcome ya Kraft bastards.

Comment

Well I apologise to no-one as I munch my millionaire's shortbread, using £50 notes to sweep away the crumbs, before taking the Bentley for a spin around the country estate.

​​​​​​S. aureus the recipe was Paul Hollywood's except we used milk instead of dark chocolate. But a whole tray of it really is a lot and it's quite dangerous to have these quantities hanging around.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          Its caramel shortbread or very occasionally caramel slice in Scotland, this millionaire's prefix is a load of old shite imo.
                                          They're millionaire's shortbreads in Waitrose and Sainsbury's but caramel shortbreads in Greggs and Lidl, make of that what you will. Caramel slices to me

Comment

My son adores millionaire's shortbread so it has been seen in these parts.

Millionaire's shortbread cheesecake is a sinful step too far that I'm willing to take.

My research caused me to alight on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire_pie and frankly, yes, I would.

Comment

They are fucking rubbish, them and reeses cups. American pancakes, cornbread, these are things needed over in these desolate islands. But the only country in the world with worse chocolate or biscuits exporting their shite into ubiquity, it would make you weep. Theres fuckin milka bars cut with oreos now, fentanyl would be more welcome ya Kraft bastards.
                                              I'm not sure that I can argue with any of this.

Comment

They are fucking rubbish, them and reeses cups.
                                                Ah, Reese's Cups. Mam thought she was doing me a kindness getting me their Easter egg this year. "He likes peanut butter, he likes chocolate".

An Easter egg made of FUCKING HERSHEY'S FUCKING "CHOCOLATE" and Reese's gritty, shitty "peanut" "butter". It has a similar texture and colour to Swarfega but probably tastes less pleasant.

Comment

This is even more fun given Easter Eggs aren't even a thing in America.
                                                  Last edited by caja-dglh; 10-04-2024, 16:04.

Comment

Have you not seen any sort of commercial over the past couple of months? Fully half of them have been for Reese's fucking peanut butter eggs.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X