Bears that don't speak English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Bear, why are you eating my kayak? Stop it bear. Bear? Bear? Why are you breaking my kayak, Bear? Please stop that, Bear. I'll pepper-spray you, Bear. Come back, Bear."

I sort of feel sorry for that woman, who obviously was in a state of panic, apparently being stranded without that kayak. At the same time, her attempts at communicating with Bear, going as far as trying to guilt-trip him, suggest that the woman might have taken Disney animated movies a little too literally.

Plus pepper-spraying wildlife? I'm glad Bear ate her kayak.

He snackt bloots platt.

Comment

Is that a grown up woman? Her voice and demeanor are more fitting of a 10-year old girl.

I bet she's called Barbara.

As it turns out she's called Mary. Never mind.

Comment

ENDUT! HOCH HECH!

https://[video=youtube_share;sqdiEUp...?v=sqdiEUp6s4E[/video]

Comment

That is brilliant.

Comment

Love the Winnie Pooh, that's about the right level of Russian for me atm.

Mary in the first video was obviously panicked, but maaaan. His name is not "Bear" and he'd made an executive decision regarding the kayak.

Comment

Bears should learn the language if they want to live here. If not, they should fuck off back to Bearistan, or wherever they come from.

Comment

California Republic?

Pepper spraying bears is the way to go, this one just happened to be pretty pesky. She was also lucky it was a black bear, Alaska is grizzly territory.

Other nautical bears, here's Petzi eating his favorite snack, when he's not sailing on his barge:

Comment

I grew up with that one:
                  In retrospect it looks completely terrible doesn't it? No wonder I am so messed up.

Comment

G-Man wrote: Plus pepper-spraying wildlife? I'm glad Bear ate her kayak.
                    That sounds like a pretty sound move, actually. It will likely put the Bear off without doing it any long term damage. Doing nothing is not really an option if the Bear comes at her, as injury and death to her are highly likely. Threatening to pepper spray it doesn't really achieve a lot, though, which is sort of the point of the opening post, I guess.

Comment

That programme a few years back about the guy who went to live with the bears in Alaska was quite sad. In his video diary he was chastising a massive Grizzly for looking at him in a threatening manner.
                      All they found of him was his gnawed forearm with wristwatch still attached. He managed to persuade his girlfriend to go too.
                      She got eaten also. There's audio where you can hear her trying to hit the bear eating her boyfriend with a frying pan.

Comment

I was living in rural Alaska at the time. Props to the Grizzly Man for his morals and all, but shoulda left the beast the hell alone.

Comment

linus is right, of course. Over here, where running into a bear isn't uncommon in the wilderness, 'bear spray' (sold in most outdoors stores) is what you want hanging on your hip. We wear bear bells when we go hiking in the deep woods. You want them to know you're coming so they can fuck off, which they do. Surprising them isn't recommended.

Comment

So Canadians consider they have a right to bear bells and bear spray?

Comment

Bears that don't speak doggish, but still get the message.

Comment

Is the use of pepper spray an exercising of the right to bear weapons? (There's a joke in there somewhere, if you can unravel it...)

That programme a few years back about the guy who went to live with the bears in Alaska was quite sad. In his video diary he was chastising a massive Grizzly for looking at him in a threatening manner.
                                All they found of him was his gnawed forearm with wristwatch still attached. He managed to persuade his girlfriend to go too.
                                She got eaten also. There's audio where you can hear her trying to hit the bear eating her boyfriend with a frying pan.
                                Timothy Treadwell - that was a bizarre story, indeed. That guy genuinely believed that he could communicate with bears and that, by living among them, his ursine friends would start to recognise him and, uh, not eat him. He was wrong. He was had for dinner.

Such was his deference to the favoured beast that one of his last sentences to his girlfriend was, apparently: "Stay back while I'm being killed!" (Sadly, she didn't.)

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: No wonder I am so messed up.
                                  Ha! Another Pomme d'api survivor here.

Are you too young for the nounours?

Pom po po pom.

Comment

Baloo was my first love, and is still my ideal man.

He's not that lazy, he just isn't into work for work's sake. Great dancer, and he'd love the Nutribullet.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Is the use of pepper spray an exercising of the right to bear weapons? (There's a joke in there somewhere, if you can unravel it...)
                                      And MsD already had...

Comment

She had indeed. Great minds, and all that - some slipping more than others...

Comment

EIM wrote: Bears should learn the language if they want to live here. If not, they should fuck off back to Bearistan, or wherever they come from.
                                          U KIP... for several months over the winter.

Comment

MsD wrote: Baloo was my first love, and is still my ideal man.

He's not that lazy, he just isn't into work for work's sake. Great dancer, and he'd love the Nutribullet.
                                            Sounds like me. PM me.

Comment

Ha. We'd be good together.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote:
                                                Blimey, it looks like something Joan Cornellà would paint.

Comment

laverte wrote: Are you too young for the nounours?

Pom po po pom.
                                                  Good gravy, Nicolas et Pimprenelle! Now there's a blast from the past...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X