Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop advice needed. Thanks in advance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD cards notoriously dodgy. Try it in somebody else's computer and see if they can reformat it?

Comment

cheers AP. Tried that unsuccessfully. I have a double back-up (one in the 'Cloud'/Google Drive, the other on a remote hard drive), so the data etc. is safe hopefully

Comment

Morning all. Some quick low tech questions, thanks in advance

1 I have an Excel spreadsheet file which is password protected, and need to convert to Open Office format. Not had this problem before- rather than converting it's prompting with various options none of which work

2 Replaced the charging connection cable which I use for my tablet and phone. It works, but is fiddly. Any reason why it won't work consistently (its brand new and mid market is cost ?7 not ?1)

Comment

3 This one is a bit technical and ethical. I watch a lot of stuff on you tube and often save it to tablet/ cloud using an online video converter.

Is this dodgy and have Sky Sports systematically returned to blocking this? A few other favourites similarly (though not Sky News)

Thanks again

Comment

2. It might be that the port on your device is damaged and not the cable itself.

Comment

Cheers AE. The previous charge cable's tip broke off, so part may be stuck in the port

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                3 This one is a bit technical and ethical. I watch a lot of stuff on you tube and often save it to tablet/ cloud using an online video converter.

Is this dodgy and have Sky Sports systematically returned to blocking this? A few other favourites similarly (though not Sky News)

Thanks again
                Ethically dodgy but not a difficult technical task. I don’t know about sites getting blocked, I’ve never trusted them myself anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                  Morning all. Some quick low tech questions, thanks in advance

1 I have an Excel spreadsheet file which is password protected, and need to convert to Open Office format. Not had this problem before- rather than converting it's prompting with various options none of which work
                  What exactly is the problem? You can’t open it? If you can you may need to remove the password before saving to the new format.

Comment

Thanks Snake.

The password protected Excel file prompts not for the password as I expected, but to choose a 'filter' from a list of other database programs, many archaic (eg dBASE, Lotus 123 etc). None worked, so I gave up and asked someone else with xls to read the file for me

Comment

Working...
                    X