Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a whale of a time

Lumme!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/11867441/Kayak-duo-hit-by-whale-It-felt-like-a-bus-landing-on-us.html

Having a whale of a time

Holy shit. That's incredible.

Comment

Having a whale of a time

Do people usually sail kayaks in Monterey?

I ask, as I went on a whale-watching trip there once. It's not as if whale encounters are rare.

Comment

Having a whale of a time

Now that's how you deal with migrants....oh, I see.

Comment

Having a whale of a time

Stumpy, it's not unheard of, though one would think that they would be more careful during whale migrations (which are seasonal).

Unfortunately, the "virality" of this is likely to inspire copycats.

Comment

Having a whale of a time

Sits wrote: Holy shit. That's incredible.
            I thought the response of the bloke interesting. (I paraphrase here, you understand!)

1. Aaargh! Am I dead then?

2. No. But I can't feel any pain. Have I lost so many bits I can't feel them any more? OK. No.

3. Hang on. How's my girlfriend?

Comment

Having a whale of a time

ursus arctos wrote: Stumpy, it's not unheard of, though one would think that they would be more careful during whale migrations (which are seasonal).

Unfortunately, the "virality" of this is likely to inspire copycats.
              Yeah. Whales are always posting selfies on Youtube…

Comment

Having a whale of a time

I went whale watching in Iceland once. It was fun, although as much for getting to look back at the landscape from a couple of miles out as for the whales.

The various backs, fins and flukes that we saw didn't quite match up to the operator's publicity leaflet, which depicted tourist and whale strolling hand in flipper along the street with matching boaters and canes, a la Maurice Chevalier.

Comment

Having a whale of a time

What the fuck are they wearing? Not surprised the sartorial cetacean tried to take them out.

Comment

Having a whale of a time

You wouldn't like California, man.

Comment

Having a whale of a time

ursus arctos wrote: Stumpy, it's not unheard of, though one would think that they would be more careful during whale migrations (which are seasonal).
                      The main migration is the grey whale one, which heads along the California coast from December (southwards) to April (northwards). So it may not be as stupid as it sounds to be out in kayaks. Also, the ocean is lovely and warm right now - at least down here. By Pacific standards it's positively toasty at 76F!

Looking at the picture I'm amazed to find that they're British. They look as if they've just got back from Burning Man to their overpriced house in the Mission from which they're about to reopen their GMO-free hemp smoothie truck.

Comment

Having a whale of a time

ursus arctos wrote: You wouldn't like California, man.
                        There's not much I do like these days.

Comment

Having a whale of a time

I'm reading the header in a kind of 'local news anchor' voice, a la "you can be sure they had a... 'whale' of a time! Well, that's it from us until tomorrow at six. G'night." (Anchor starts chuckling with co-anchor. Fade.)

You wouldn't like California, man.
                          Oh, I don't know - I've always thought it one of The Move's better tunes.

(One for the kids there.)

Comment

Working...
                          X