No announcement yet.

Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd rather there was a general election now to be honest, but when half the PLP don't want it, what's to do?

As for the reselection issue, I'm pretty relaxed about MPs citing their mandate to their local parties as a primary factor, even if they're "centrists". The selection results of late have been a mixed, broad-church bag, and I'm fairly relaxed about that too. Though the rancour would be taken out if instead of the half-way house "trigger ballot" new rule, we just had straight out open selections. Against which I've never heard a coherent argument, other than entitled self-pitying "the nasty members are threatening my job for life" bullshit

Comment

Mutter mutter...something about Burke...much Pearl-clutching etc

Comment

John Mann is taking his talents to the Lords, via the Chiltern Hundreds

Comment

And Keith Vaz suspended/subject to a recall petition.

Comment

I stand with Diane

[URL]https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1188844371598368770?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Oldie but goldie:

Comment

Abbot correction

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1188862450436923393?s=20

Comment

While I still worry about having an election - because it's still giving Johnson what he wants and you shouldn't ever do that, and because I'm terrified of what the polling shows - I don't see much choice at this point.

I struggle to see why the EU would offer a further extension after Jan 31 unless there was a meaningful possibility of change. My instincts tell me that this is the final extension for a Brextremist led Tory government. I also don't see a change of government coming without an election.

So (unless a referendum amendment was added to the Johnson WAB, was passed, and then the bill wasn't withdrawn by the government) the only way at this point to change the status quo before Jan 31 is an election. I think they have to go for it, even if the odds are that Labour are going to lose votes. I'm not sure what the argument is against, apart from pure self-interest in conserving their seats.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                    I'd rather there was a general election now to be honest, but when half the PLP don't want it, what's to do?

As for the reselection issue, I'm pretty relaxed about MPs citing their mandate to their local parties as a primary factor, even if they're "centrists". The selection results of late have been a mixed, broad-church bag, and I'm fairly relaxed about that too. Though the rancour would be taken out if instead of the half-way house "trigger ballot" new rule, we just had straight out open selections. Against which I've never heard a coherent argument, other than entitled self-pitying "the nasty members are threatening my job for life" bullshit
                    I'd prefer open selections too. Had to trapse across the city on Saturday to vote in the open selection for our council candidate. Our current councillor won unanimously. Ridiculous that our MPs don't have to defend their records. It's how we've ended up with Kate Hoey in Vauxhall for so long.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ps-not-working

I genuinely wonder what her point is. Is it that the leadership should rig the process? Or that the grassroots is Remain even in Leave areas? Or that Corbyn/Momentums alleged attempt at a purge and replacement by their favourites has failed?

Comment

Her point is that Hoey eats dead babies. But of course if the party had been a little less regressive at any time in the last 30 years she could easily have been persuaded to return to Antrim South and lose Labour's deposit there instead
                        Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 29-10-2019, 11:06.

Comment

Yeah I'm not quite sure what the central argument of that piece is either, though it's good to read something on Labour's selection processes that doesn't do the deselection terror pearl-clutching, and that acknowledges how corrupt the process was during the Blair years.

Alas, Margaret Hodge has been reselected.

Comment

I don't think there really is a central argument, other than to tell you that it's actually quite a chaotic and messy process, but that in the past it was less chaotic, messy and was worse

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                              Her point is that Hoey eats dead babies. But of course if Labour had been a little less regressive at any time in the last 30 years she could easily have been persuaded to return to Antrim South and lose Labour's deposit
                              Why would they?

That and she clearly no longer supports Corbyn in any format.

Comment

A good article on Watson's departure.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/p...mber-12-corbyn

Comment

I liked that, though it is written from an exclusively English perspective without ever acknowledging that fact.

Outside of England, there are certainly options for young progressives other than the Lib Dems.

This is of course not uncommon in ostensibly "UK" commentary, but I think that is part of the problem, particularly when it comes to Labour.

Comment

It was good - very good - whilst it lasted. Could have been (much) better, of course, but there we are.

Comment

Spinsters for Corbyn

Comment

https://twitter.com/HealthUntoDeath/status/1249058424526123010?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/FromSteveHowell/status/1251802365344329728?s=20

Comment

Observer article where the people behind Change UK admit that it was about stopping Corbyn and not stopping Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e_iOSApp_Other

Comment

As it’s now clear was the “people’s vote” campaign.

count the corpses.

they’re on you.

meanwhile in some light relief

https://twitter.com/ralflittle/status/1251919278783303684?s=21

all we need now is for the Conservative Party to nationalise sausages for a clean sweep.

Comment

The final quote in the Observer article:
                                                “People might ask me in 30 years ‘what did you achieve in your time in politics?’,” he says. “I’m no fan of this government obviously. But still, I will be able to say I helped prevent Jeremy Corbyn from leading us through a huge national crisis. And to be honest, I’ll take that.”
                                                And that from someone who was once a Labour MP (Gavin Shuker).
                                                Probably better off in the wtf thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                                  all we need now is for the Conservative Party to nationalise sausages for a clean sweep.
                                                  House!

https://twitter.com/dsquareddigest/status/1248577690786988033

Comment

Tbf we can't lose Greggs.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X