No announcement yet.

Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, hang on. Her motives may have been malign, but that doesn't automatically follow. An injustice may have been done while the complaint was made in good faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
      Well, hang on. Her motives may have been malign, but that doesn't automatically follow. An injustice may have been done while the complaint was made in good faith.
      Agreed. She could have been acting in good faith. But the clip (and how she spun her behaviour afterwards) makes it plain to me that she wasn't.

Comment

Agreed, as johnr said, both could have been acting in good faith and misunderstood. However, she didn’t go from that meeting and try to examine any of that, or to explain why she, as a Jewish person, may be sensitive to certain insinuations; an approach that would have led to a sympathetic conversation and perhaps more awareness on the part of shouty activists. Instead, she declared it to be anti-Semitism.

Comment

And called for Corbyn’s resignation

Comment

Well yeah, because as well as being what you'd do if you were pretending to have suffered a racist attack, it's also what yo would do if you genuinely felt you had suffered a racist attack.

Re:MsD

Comment

I thought you “couldn’t be bothered”.

Comment

Not with the other thing, no.

Actually, to be honest you've got me there. I keep coming back and picking at this like a scab. LEAVE IT!

Comment

The “other thing” being perceived racism towards people of colour and their hurt feelings, which aren’t as important or genuine as Ruth Smeeth’s hurt feelings? Gotcha.

Comment

Yeah, the made up thing about how people walking down a street is racist.
                    Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 28-04-2018, 09:54.

Comment

Making an approving comment about an anti Semitic mural: NOT RACIST

Saying Hitler was a Zionist: NOT RACIST

Posting an arguably racist comment on Facebook, then apologising and saying "I was being racist": NOT RACIST

Walking down a street with fellow MPs: RACIST

Comment

You're doing that "Misrepresenting people's argument" thing again.

Comment

Totes.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GHNeale/status/989967000616210434

She lied that she was in tears. She said he had used "traditional antisemitic slurs" referred to him as "people like this" accused him of "vile conspiracy theories about Jewish people" and said that Wadsworth's intervention proved hat a Labour Party under Corbyn's stewardship "cannot be a safe space for British Jews"

It's pure bullshit, lucy. To my mind what’s worse is it trivialises real antisemitism from the unpleasant “Rothschild” & “Zio” posts from some on the left & many on the far right too to the thankfully few physical attacks on Jews (around 70 last year including spitting) to the IMO far more troubling open anti Semitism of the governing parties in Poland and Hungary.
                            Last edited by Nefertiti2; 28-04-2018, 10:33.

Comment

the (pretty good) Chakrabarti report which was discredited on no evidence and then not implemented by Ian McNicoll.
                              I've heard that it's a decent report- I saw the Jewish Chronicle said so.

And if McNicol blocked it, where the heck was the leader? He wants to be Prime Minister, and can't get an agreed report implemented in his own party? Just like he can't get Livingstone kicked out? I mean, this is pretty useless. How's he going to handle "Sir Humphrey"? Everybody might as well give up now, and appoint David Milliband.

You could, in good faith, conclude that Corbyn didn't really care about any of this much. I don't think that's true, but you could think that. I'm not going to waste too much of my time defending somebody on the basis they're just inept, so it's OK.
                              Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 28-04-2018, 10:40.

Comment

I don’t think many people who are concluding that are doing so in good faith.

Comment

So the explanation is that Corbyn's inept? Naively trusting of the wrong sort, like Ian McNicol, maybe?

I think that's probably true. But I'm not going to be knocking on doors on his behalf.
                                  Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 28-04-2018, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                    So the explanation is that Corbyn's inept? Naively trusting of the wrong sort, like Ian McNicol, maybe?

I think that's probably true. But I'm not going to be knocking on doors on his behalf.
                                    Tubby in “happy with a Tory government” admission. More at 6!

Comment

Good interview with Diane Abbott in The Times today. The interviewers are not obviously unsympathetic and she comes off well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post

The nice thing is that there are thousands doing it all over the country at the moment - people of all ages and ethnicities - it's been absolutely inspiring to see.

Comment

Have you ever knocked on doors, Tubby?

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                            Wadsworth WAS accused of anti-semitism by Smeeth and others at the time; she deleted her posts about it and seems to have withdrawn that particular charge, partly because footage was being shared and her account questioned.

In one video that I can no longer find, someone was talking quietly to Smeeth at the meeting saying "anti-Semitism, anti-Semitism" when Wadsworth was making his address.
                                            It is in the video Nef linked earlier, and which I kindly reproduce. About 23 seconds in, the man in gray behind her says, "Anti-Semitism at the launch of the Chakraborti report!" after which Smeeth - who had previously looked aggrieved but not like she was going anywhere - decided to leave.

Comment

Don't want to derail this wonderful debate, but feel the need to give a shout out to HeavyDracula for the truly excellent username.

Comment

Thankyou, sir! In other news, here's the text of a speech Stephen Bush gave to Progress the other day...

Comment

I like Stephen Bush. the only reason to read the New Statesman.

Comment

Yes, why he isn't the editor when that clueless posh halfwit Cowley stays in the gig is a mystery

Comment

Working...
                                                    X