• Show
Clear All

Corb Blimey!

- and certain OTFers –
    Well, one.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Nesta Arantes do Nascimento wrote:
      The plan before was a common system of oversight, I think, though not with LAs so involved. So not that much of a change.
      Oh to be a fly on the wall in Lord Adonis's office today though.
      He's not had a good week, what with being chief advisor to Jowell.

I expect like Gove, he says "my academies system endures" because it's such a mess for anyone else to reassemble.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

The victims of the mainland bombings will always be brought out, and indeed should never be forgotten, but it's important to also remember other victims of the Troubles, including the families who didn't get justice because the Establishment were busy stitching up the wrong people, and knew it, but didn't care. Paddy Hill of the Birmingham Six is friendly with some of the relatives of the bombings, they recognise their common experience. They all had their lives shattered that day.

The Catholic victims, the non-sectarians, the totally innocent, all were brushed aside for political reasons.

There's greater awareness of that in the general community now; that nothing in the Troubles was clear-cut, that information was manipulated for propagandist reasons, and perhaps the greatest, most cynical evil was not that of the Paramilitaries. Not to suggest that they're all heroes, there were some right thugs and gangsters in their ranks.

But the point is, people know it's not as black and white as it was presented back in the day.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

That's not really what I mean.

I picture a British politician on the news years ago being Unionist, albeit not always comfortable with Unionists. They wouldn't see Northern Ireland as being occupied, for instance.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Never mind all that, a new MASSIVE CRISIS has arisen - Corbo's not going to the rugby. The terrorists have won.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Tubby Isaacs wrote: That's not really what I mean.

I picture a British politician on the news years ago being Unionist, albeit not always comfortable with Unionists. They wouldn't see Northern Ireland as being occupied, for instance.
              I wasn't posting in response to you, but generally :-)

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Don't worry about me, I'm focussed on what the pundits are already calling Rugbygate.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

JC's stand against the evil forces of rugby has banished any doubts that I may have had about him. Ideally he'll stay true to his grass roots activist past and come and tour the pubs of west London cutting the aerial cords of every television showing the thing. It might take some time but he's one for the long haul.

Do you think the commentators will blame him personally for any empty seats rather than the corporate hospitality sector?

Surely the one note hysterics of the anti-Corb knocking copy will have a neutering effect when its authors eventually have to try and drum up outrage about things that actually matter?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

He's actually agreed to travel by car now, the HYPOCRITE.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3236846/Anti-austerity-champion-Jeremy-Corbyn-accepts-85-pay-rise-125-000-official-car.html

So much for CARING about the POOR.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

That's obviously DISGUSTING, but if it enables him to cover more ground rooting out publically televised rugby, then it is the type of compromise that a leader should be prepared to make.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

But to be serious for a second, the faux enthusiasm in Ireland for rugby is purely down to class aspirations, as the linear evolution from GAA to soccer to union shows. The native game derived its support from communitarian egalitarianism, the spread of soccer nationwide remained largely a working-class phenomenon, but drew its driving force from the individual association of the game with cosmopolitan values, but rugby, sadly, remains largely about networking, dreams of attaining the status of petit-bourgeoisie, and kicking the rungs out from underneath you on the way up the social ladder. So, by going to rugby, Corbyn is a class traitor, I'm afraid.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

This is pretty worrying to me. McDonnell getting important facts wrong last night on Question Time.

https://fullfact.org/factcheck/economy/food_banks_zero_hours_contracts_real_wages-48158

Miliband overstated zero hours contracts as well. I think it's important to get these right. Not just because I like fact checks (except for my own broadbrush bollocks), but because if you overstate something you can spend too much time on it.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

The Daily Mail is even more like a satire site than ever. Take this quote about his relationship with Abbott:

The inconvenient fact that Corbyn – now dubbed the Sexpot Trot – was actually still married, though living separately from his wife, seems not to have stopped them.
                            Shock, horror, separated man has sex with another woman...

Comment

Corb Blimey!

That "factcheck" is kinda laughable, though

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Jimski wrote: Shock, horror, separated man has sex with another woman...
                                Well, it is the Mail.

The Sun was congratulating itself on spoofing the thing in its Dear Deirdre column.

That would be the same newspaper run by Rebekah Brooks, who was having an extra-marital affair with Andy Coulson.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

http://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/10-video-game-quotes-wrongly-attributed-to-jeremy-corbyn

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Jimski wrote: The Daily Mail is even more like a satire site than ever. Take this quote about his relationship with Abbott:

The inconvenient fact that Corbyn – now dubbed the Sexpot Trot – was actually still married, though living separately from his wife, seems not to have stopped them.
                                    Shock, horror, separated man has sex with another woman...
                                    Oh, so my inference from the Telegraph piece on the previous page that he was already divorced was incorrect? In that case I'm scandalised and will protest this MADNESS by getting a bus right now to the Falklands War memorial in central Buenos Aires and loudly singing God Save The Queen whilst doing a Nazi goosestep.

It'll probably get me stabbed or at the very least beaten up, but I'm 99% sure that the Mail will have me on their front page tomorrow as some sort of TRUE BRITISH HERO.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Look. I hate to bring this down, but have you seen that picture of them? Diane was a fox, man. I reckon he did alright, and this is all just jealousy.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Even Ruth Davidson is rubbishing these Corbyn/Abbott stories as being in any way relevant. So can the papers just shut up with this bullshit now?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Jimski wrote: Even Ruth Davidson is rubbishing these Corbyn/Abbott stories as being in any way relevant. So can the papers just shut up with this bullshit now?
                                          The poll in that article escalates brilliantly.

"Is Ruth Davidson correct?

1. Yes
                                          2. No
                                          3. It's trivial but everyone loves gossip.
                                          4. She is always correct."

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Oh well, so much for strong and effective opposition: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/20/labour-could-back-syria-strikes-despite-corbyn-opposition-says-hilary-benn

Comment

Corb Blimey!

It's amusing how American and British bombings have become 'strikes'.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

The idea that you can solve a complex problem such as Syria via bombing is an intriguing one. Which set of thugs are they going to bomb? Assad's lot? Isis? Just bomb anyone and everyone?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Tough on war, tough on the causes of war.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

They don't want to solve it, they want to bomb it. Get over there and blow up some stuff that's already been blown up. Shows decisiveness, and then the Tories can't keep saying Corbyn's a pussy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X