Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[URL]https://twitter.com/abiwilks/status/1174082466782568448?s=21[/URL]

Comment

All I know is that Labour club in mid 90s Glasgow Uni was the most depressing fetid place. You could smell the careerism of the wee nyaffs in controlling positions who'd spout whatever pish that week's Blairite orthodoxy was. And SLab centrists slag off the Nats for not tolerating internal dissent. They deserve their annihilation. Leninists without the ideology.
      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 17-09-2019, 22:42.

Comment

Meanwhile

[URL]https://twitter.com/philosophytube/status/1173882987034873856?s=21[/URL]

Comment

There doesn't seem to have been much comment about the efforts by John Lansmann to abolish tom watson via the NEC, rather than say... by a vote of the members. Why the fuck would you do such an insane thing just before your party conference? Tom Watson might be a massive throbbing dickhead, but that's not uncommon in UK politics. They Botched it, but we all saw it. The entire conference would have become about that, and who the fuck knows where that would have ended up.

Similarly there seems to be a lot of talk about how the leadership are putting off postponing a decision on whether or not to support remain until after the election, and after they have negotiated the deal with the EU. I've got to say that I'm not impressed with this. As someone who is kind of hoping that the UK manages to overturn this whole brexit nightmare, the leadership of the labour party really is a burning bag of dogshit. It is difficult to express the utter fucking pointlessness of this triangulation bullshit, and where it inevitably leads. Len McCluskey was talking about this vote (where this proposal goes up against motions from remain supporting branches) as a loyalty vote. He really is a lovely man. I would like to see someone construct an argument to the effect that he isn't in fact also just another wing of "the enemy".

Comment

I fully expect the Brexit motion from membership to pass on Monday.

Comment

I couldn't believe that Lansman was so dumb. The media and the Sensibles were ready to jump on any wacky motion proposed, so - no matter how justified - that one on Watson was so completely stupid.

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
              Given their completely unsurprising shifting of the goalposts, I fully expect that within five minutes of it passing the Peoples Vote will put out a tweet criticising Labour for not going full-on revoke.

Comment

I'm expecting the time-honoured tradition of the leadership crushing the membership via the mechanism of the union block vote.

Comment

I thought the unions didn't have their thumb on the scales as much anymore?

Comment

Unions have about half the vote on the floor at conference. So Tim Roache deciding to back the NEC over the membership makes a difference.

Comment

Lansman has never struck me as dumb, so I'd love to know his reasoning for trying to defenestrate sneaky Tom Watson at this moment. Seems such an unnecessary own goal at a time Labour can ill afford it.

Comment

(Actually I've no real idea how the Brexit votes will go, and I don't care that much. Like a clean-break brexit, the idea that Labour's issues will be solved by a conference vote is bollocks. I'm much more interested in the outcome of the Labour Campaign for Free Movement motion which has so far survived all the backroom attempts to kill it.)

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          (Actually I've no real idea how the Brexit votes will go, and I don't care that much. Like a clean-break brexit, the idea that Labour's issues will be solved by a conference vote is bollocks. I'm much more interested in the outcome of the Labour Campaign for Free Movement motion which has so far survived all the backroom attempts to kill it.)
                          Well, Corbyn makes a big deal of listening to the membership so if the trade union block kills the amendment passing with pretty much every Shadow Cabinet minister up to and including McDonnell supporting it, it will look pretty bad.

Comment

Motion passes: "A blow to Corbyn"
                            Motion fails: "Brexit chaos under Corbyn"

Comment

What a shame and what a wasted opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                Lansman has never struck me as dumb, so I'd love to know his reasoning for trying to defenestrate sneaky Tom Watson at this moment. Seems such an unnecessary own goal at a time Labour can ill afford it.
                                What if that's the goal he's shooting at? UK politics seems to be largely made up of people deliberately saying and doing terrible and stupid things, that wind up advancing themselves or their group aims at the expense of wider society. I struggle for the life of me to come up with a reason why the Labour party would be immune from such trends. If they managed to pull it off, you're looking at an enormous row at the conference, the party splitting, and a lot of MPs leaving, leaving behind a loyal rump.

And I see that Labour have decided that there's no need to have a policy on brexit until after they have an election, and win power, and negotiate a withdrawal agreement, and then they'll decide.

You are being lead by the nose, by people that you should not trust. If you haven't given up on them by now, ,you will feel twice as foolish when it eventually dawns on you.

Comment

Well this has been an... interesting conference.

Comment

I think it's that if Corbyn goes, (as he will if Labour loses an Autumn election) then having that devious shit Tom Watson as temporary leader would mean there would never be a left candidate again

Comment

Don't be crediting him with influence that he doesn't have. If labour never has another left leader (whatever that is supposed to be) it will be because this bullshit we're having right now will have killed the labour party.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                        It didn't and for some mysterious reason was refused a card vote. Delegates chant the magic grandpa's name at this glorious victory.
                                        Last edited by jeanmid; 23-09-2019, 17:29.

Comment

Hmm, So a load of people turn up in hall when it was the time to vote. the vote was done by a show of hands, the chair refused to do a card vote when asked.

I've got to say, I'm impressed by the robust democratic procedures in place at the labour party conference. None of that was at all suspicious looking.

Comment

There wasn't supposed to be another left leader after 1992. New Labour was supposed to be permanent. The base of the party after the GE is still going to be the one that elected Corbyn.

Comment

I described it as "insane" on the Brexit thread.

Here's the Grauniad report

Chair rejects call for card vote - despite admitting there was some confusion as to result

Some delegates are calling for a card vote.

Wendy Nichols, the chair, seems to be resisting this.

She says whichever way she goes, she will be in trouble.

She says: "In my view it was carried."

Then she corrects herself. She says it was lost.

Earlier, just before she announced the vote, she said that she thought it went one way, but that Jennie (Formby, Labour's general secretary, who is on the platform) thought it went another way. Nichols did not say who thought what, but when she announced the result initially (see 5.42pm) she said it had been lost.

A delegate says this is one of the most important decisions facing the party. There should be a card vote.

Nichols says the vote was lost. She wants the party to be right with itself.

Comment

Now I fear these eejits really could go the way of SLab, and that fatuous liar Swinson might just become leader of the Opp. Labour had 41 of 59 seats in 2010, one in the next election. And this next election will be as dominated by Brexit as 2015 was by indyref in Jockland.

when you fuck up as bad as this, there's maybes no way back. Assuming 2017 results are indicative of anything could be very problematic.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 23-09-2019, 18:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  There wasn't supposed to be another left leader after 1992. New Labour was supposed to be permanent.
                                                  This was also the Clinton/NDC concept.

Comment

Historical Labour conferences were almost the most depressing part of my degree. Now the spirit of democracy Willie Ross once fostered on Scottish matters has been implemented UK wide. If this was done under Blair the left would be rightly spitting blood.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X