No announcement yet.

Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's only one realistic alternative PM at the moment. It isn't Swinson or Farage, let alone Lucas or some self-important now backbench has-been.

Ken Clarke or Margaret Beckett in charge would be like Barcelona signing Gareth McAuley and sticking him up front in place of Messi

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1162312730289823744?s=21[/URL]

those Tory rebels are really committed to preventing a No Deal Brexit.

Comment

Didn't Corbyn also go to private school?

Not that I have anything against that, just the schools themselves.

Comment

No, grammar school

Comment

He did before that apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Corbyn#Early_life

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
              Part of the fun and games around Brexit is down to people like Minford and Hannan who have been afforded intellectual heavyweight status (I know) based on the fact that they read books of free market theory which break down as soon as they are exposed to the big bag of emotional idiocy that is known as a human being.
              Economics textbooks are so behind the times that they gave Schiller a (fake) Nobel Prize for "discovering" that humans don't act rationally.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                [URL]https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1162312730289823744?s=21[/URL]

those Tory rebels are really committed to preventing a No Deal Brexit.
                Not got an ounce of leverage, he has. Only Guto Bebb appears willing to acknowledge this.

Comment

Thanks, i'll be more careful next time.
                  Last edited by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen; 29-08-2019, 08:50.

Comment

What the actual fuck?

Comment

Looks like a new Londonderry mural.

Comment

Londonderry eh?

Comment

Problem?

Comment

Just seems... well, most citizens of the place don't call it "Londonderry". Until the 60s, most Protestants wouldn't have used Londonderry either.

Comment

Well, I don't live there, mate, and if I hear anyone refer to the place it's usually on the BBC and they tend to use both names. But for a long time it was just Londonderry, which is the name I tend to use, on the odd occasion that I refer to the place.

Londonderry is the official name of the place as per Wiki, incidentally, though there is a lot of nuance when it comes to the city, council and so on.

Comment

The BBC reporters say Londonderry, then Derry then all other references in the report are "the city".

Comment

Barely a city (they had to merge its Council with Strabane to get a population equivalent to Bangor or Lisburn), little culture, most of the citizenry reject the UK. No manners but what a critic eh?

But for all that I hope to visit next month.

About 75% of the wider population (everyone bar SF voters basically) use the name Northern Ireland readily enough. I'm sure Spoony follows the same convention but...

ps I first got told off for calling it Derry aged 12. By my Granny's friend (who spent her entire working life in Belfast)
                                  Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 17-08-2019, 17:50.

Comment

I once got chatting to a Londoner at the bar of a pub in Dublin, the London GAA team were on the TV and I said to him "that's your team playing now " He replied " I saw LDN and thought it was Londonderry" I had to politely explain that no one in Dublin would use that name and certainly no one in the GAA would use it.

Comment

Indeed. People apply their own bias first, sensitivity to the locals second if at all

Comment

Why are we all fighting. We should just call it by a nice neutral name, its proper name, Doire Colmchille. Now Everyone is happy.

BTW It's the Apprentice boys of Derry, not Londonderry. Anyone calling it Londonderry is trolling.

Comment

Anyway, what a wonderful picture it was that started the sidetrack, whatever on earth it was meant to represent.

Comment

NS- it was a variety of slurs aimed at Corbyn; including some crude misogyny about Diane Abbott

Berba- they're not trolling, just disagreeing with their neighbors. There's little reaaon for anyone in Dublin in Galway- whether the 2% of adults able to drop Doire Colmcille into conversation or not- to get agitated

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                              NS- it was a variety of slurs aimed at Corbyn; including some crude misogyny about Diane Abbott

Berba- they're not trolling, just disagreeing with their neighbors. There's little reaaon for anyone in Dublin in Galway- whether the 2% of adults able to drop Doire Colmcille into conversation or not- to get agitated
                                              You can't realistically tell people to use Name A rather than Name B, when you use Name B yourself, on literally every occasion that it is important to you. Anyway it doesn't matter There's a tv programme called Derry Girls, and that's that. The Moving pictures are always more powerful than Unionist sensibilities. There's a Museum down near Goliath to that effect.

Comment

There's little resaon for anyone in Dublin or Galway...to get agitated

Anyway it doesn't matter

So we're broadly agreed then?

Strictly, the local Unionists are just saying they'll use the long form sometimes even if others don't. I imagine the Sage of (Kirk)Caldy would agree *

I did watch Derry Girls a couple of times, didn't really do much for me. Young Offenders and Can't Cope Won't Cope were better. Nika McGuigan RIP

* don't write in, I know the name is Gaelic (from 'Caer' not 'Kirk')

Comment

Only the BBC or uber unionists call Derry its colonial name in my experience.

Comment

This is long but very good.dhould be required reading for Berbaslug etc

[URL]https://twitter.com/newleftreview/status/1160868531933597697?s=21[/URL]

shows how much the Labour right (and the press) were much keener to attack Corbyn than campaign for Remain before during and after the referendum

Comment

Working...
                                                    X