No announcement yet.

Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah we have it in law and business, and I know some of those meanings, but they didn’t really seem to fit the political context.

Comment

In academic and political disputes, I think it's broader than dishonesty because it can mean double mindedness, where the person is carrying around two political selves depending on the scenario. For example, Blair may have had one consciousness that genuinely believed Iraq had WMD but must also have had a rational brain telling him the evidence he was seeing was not as convincing as he wanted it to be. Christopher Hitchens kept finding ways to believe the Americans were acting responsibly in Iraq.

This ability to switch between two selves and not reconcile them is a bigger thing than dishonesty towards others. One self is lying to the other inside the same skin. Denial is quite a common example - the defendant who convinces himself he is innocent despite the smoking gun.

I also think you can resolve your own dilemma by not trying to boil it down to a formula but see it instead as a category that can involve ambiguities.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 06-07-2019, 15:36.

Comment

i think I would define it as having no interest in finding a solution.

Comment

FWIW I only used 'bad faith' because Nef used it earlier in the thread, and I thought it sounded clever.

It covers more than just lying or broader dishonesty. It encompasses a general cynicism about the means as long as the ends are considered acceptable. In the current case, the end seems to be putting Corbyn and the left back where they belong and allegations of anti-Semitism are the means of accomplishing that.

Comment

Meanwhile in the Progress parish newspaper. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ment-130836949

This prompted a further thought: how easy it would be to construct a pretty decent cabinet from Labour’s backbenches: Jess Phillips, Seema Malhotra, Owen Smith, Stephen Kinnock, Gloria De Piero, Angela Eagle and David Lammy for a start.
            Leaving aside the absolutely fucking awful Jess Phillips, the frankly inoffensive Owen Smith and Aaargh Eagle, anyone... anyone who thinks that Stephen Kinnock is capable of doing anything more complicated than tying his own shoelaces, let alone be in a fucking Cabinet should be dismissed as a complete lunatic. I mean, Jesus fucking Christ.

And that is before we get to this beauty that should never be forgotten. This is his and his supporters reaction to the success of the Party in the General Election.

Comment

Has Angela Eagle announced her leadership campaign yet? It's been a year or two hasn't it?

Comment

She's just waiting for the pull-up banners to come back from the printers.

Comment

Ange is in great company. Yvette Cooper, Dave Miller Band, Hilary Benn. None could win an election in their own family.

Comment

Eagle was in a contest against her twin?

Any long-term female successor to Corbyn is going to be the likes of Long-Bailey or Rayner surely...

Comment

I like Maria Eagle's supposed quip "You can't mistake me for my sister- I'm the straight one"

Top rant by the lad Snaky above

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                        Has Angela Eagle announced her leadership campaign yet? It's been a year or two hasn't it?
                        Angela Eagle is a splendid example of bad faith in action.

Before the referendum, I recall her praising Conrbyn's efforts for remain - quoted somewhere in a Guardian live blog at the time. Then when the referendum result went in, she did an about face and seemed to forget how vigorously she had been praising Corbyn just days before. Somewhere, she was not telling the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post
                          Eagle was in a contest against her twin?

Any long-term female successor to Corbyn is going to be the likes of Long-Bailey or Rayner surely...
                          I'd put a sly tenner on Rushanara Ali. Ticks multiple diversity boxes, which will play well with the Guardian. Rock solid majority. One of Corbyn's original backers, which will play well with the left. Lack of recent shadow cabinet experience may actually help her as she won't be associated with anti-Semitism mess and the Corbyn project, which will play well with the middle ground.

Seems to have principles, which might be a stumbling block.

Dunno if she's any good at all, but a cursory inspection seems promising. Can she speak without making people clutch their ears and beg her to stop, and without saying anything too stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post

I'd put a sly tenner on Rushanara Ali. Ticks multiple diversity boxes, which will play well with the Guardian. Rock solid majority. One of Corbyn's original backers, which will play well with the left. Lack of recent shadow cabinet experience may actually help her as she won't be associated with anti-Semitism mess and the Corbyn project, which will play well with the middle ground.

Seems to have principles, which might be a stumbling block.

Dunno if she's any good at all, but a cursory inspection seems promising. Can she speak without making people clutch their ears and beg her to stop, and without saying anything too stupid?
                            Nice idea, but given large parts of a gormless Brit electorate currently, reckon it's 50 years minimum, before a Muslim woman would stand even the slightest chance, sadly. Even a relatively secular one.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                              Meanwhile in the Progress parish newspaper. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ment-130836949

Leaving aside the absolutely fucking awful Jess Phillips, the frankly inoffensive Owen Smith and Aaargh Eagle, anyone... anyone who thinks that Stephen Kinnock is capable of doing anything more complicated than tying his own shoelaces, let alone be in a fucking Cabinet should be dismissed as a complete lunatic. I mean, Jesus fucking Christ.

And that is before we get to this beauty that should never be forgotten. This is his and his supporters reaction to the success of the Party in the General Election.

Don't forget his wife, Helle Thorning-Schmidt, lecturing him like an insolent child. "Why are you doing this interview?"

Comment

Bloody hell - Have just seen the words Seema Malhotra and Cabinet in the same sentence from the post above. If that's Labours back bench talent we are in serious trouble.

Comment

It's just what the Sensibles consider to be talent.

Flynnie - I almost called her Lady Macbeth but stopped because IIRC, Lord Macbeth wasn't a dribbling moron.

Comment

I don't see how centrism is a more viable option now than it was in 2015 under Milibandism.

Comment

Because as Hillary, Miliband E, Cooper / Burnham / Kendall, Owen Smith, Eagle A and the complete high poll riding of the Lib Dems and the TInGe has shown for the last four years, there's electoral gold in them thar centrist hills.

Comment

That's as maybe, but plenty of centrist drones moaning on SM.

Wouldn't write anything off this year, given the flux in the polls and the LD 'revival'?

Comment

Make your mind up. So far this month you've already written off India beating Lanka at the CWC and a Muslim woman leading Labour before 2069

Comment

The Lib Dems got a million more votes than Labour in the Euros. Despite the handicap of being the Lib Dems.

Comment

Presumably Labour not being 20 points ahead of the Tories is about something more substantial than the Daily Mail being beastly.

Which Labour politicians command support across the party?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                Make your mind up. So far this month you've already written off India beating Lanka at the CWC and a Muslim woman leading Labour before 2069
                                                Probably on a par with the chances of there being no more CWC match fixing or the Greens in Britain ever winning an election of any significance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
                                                  Presumably Labour not being 20 points ahead of the Tories is about something more substantial than the Daily Mail being beastly.

Which Labour politicians command support across the party?
                                                  A divided Labour Party will struggle but we need to query the sources of the division, which I think come from more than one side. Who's been doing the shit-stirring?

The BBC is certainly a contributor as it will play up Labour divisions more than Tory ones.

Comment

See this weeks Panorama for instance.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X