No announcement yet.

Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn't accurate. And we're done it here before. So has most of the internet, hence why the 'story' isn't getting traction today.

Comment

What did he say? I haven't seen.

Comment

Can't get the full speech now - he's had it up on his website for a few weeks, though it's down today - though it may be earlier in this thread or the Brexit one; essentially, he was using the GFA etc as an example of how bad Brexit could be if Labour doesn't win the Commons votes re the 6 tests.

It's just mischief-making, not worth your time.

Comment

Ah OK, didn't realized speech had been published.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-paramilitary

Those Barry Gardiner remarks don't come from the speech, but from the unscripted Q&A.

“I think we must also recognise that there are real economic reasons why people have played up the issue of the Irish border and the need to have the shibboleth of the Good Friday agreement. And that is because it is hugely in the Republic of Ireland’s economic interest to make sure that there is no tariff and no external border there.”
            I'm not sure Ireland is going to be impressed with that.

Gardiner's also against being in the Customs Union because I presume it makes Liam Fox's job, and thus his shadow job, meaningless. What's he doing?

He looks to have been a bit sneaky in sticking up his speech text when he must have known the controversy was about remarks in the Q&A, and misleading that he didn't say what he did.
            Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 09-04-2018, 21:31.

Comment

Transcript and audio here.

https://www.theredroar.com/2018/04/f...20-march-2018/

Sounds like a bloke over his head, who thinks he's a bit of a straight-talking character.

Comment

Just turned on a repeat of Friday's Have I Got News For You, fronted by boorish oaf Jeremy Paxman. The Corbyn/Jewdas bit was shockingly poor.

Comment

Jesus fucking Christ. Another Gobshite who doesn't realise that the possible alternative to the Good Friday Agreement is a "successful" fucking border poll.

Comment

Fuck sake it might just happen. If we got an NHS out of unification for all 32 counties I’ll happily have King Billy on the new flag we apparently will have to get to keep mad people happy. But then I’m a dirty Prod Brit with no referendum vote so.

Comment

Is the NHS meaningfully better than the Irish health system at this point? Certain things are different, but I'm not sure that the overall situation is better. it's 2018, not 1965

Comment

Free at the point of service is a pretty big fuckin deal. I know at least one guy who let a lump on his leg go from wee to grape sized before saying, spread from skin to lung and that was that. Cos of GP fees and limited money in pocket as much as male denial. Hospitals seem cleaner, brighter, less frantic and more well equipped in Scotland compared to Ireland. No idea about Wales and England but, though I’d take the Scottish NHS over the care I’ve had from quack script doctor GPs or the joy of Mater or St James A&E in Dublin (even after gashing my forehead on a weekend in violence happy 90s Glasgow, my wait to be seen was only an hour- my first go at the Mater was 12. Girl next to me in a bridesmaids dress puking her ring onto the floor at her feet. No fucker cleaning it. For hours. Sister reports a two hour wait in Embra last year (and loads of folk giving out about it- they’d kill for that in Dublin)).

The state of the ward my mate (not with Cancer) was in at St James over the summer (just off A&E), really didn’t feel like being in one of the richest countries in the world.
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 09-04-2018, 23:26.

Comment

Jeremy Corbyn’s plan to scrap restrictions on state support for British industry is popular with the British public – even if it means a looser trade relationship with the EU after Brexit – according to the latest polling.
                          I don't know if it's a plan, so much as a "policy flavour". But it's a stupid waste of everybody's time, and makes me want David Milliband to appear in a tank in Parliament Square.

Comment

great Labour video

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/983761318762237953

Comment

Shibboleth aside, the stuff that Gardiner got in trouble for isn't wrong, as far as I can tell. There will be no meaningful vote and no deal will have the exact same benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                No idea about Wales and England but, though I’d take the Scottish NHS over the care I’ve had from quack script doctor GPs or the joy of Mater or St James A&E in Dublin (even after gashing my forehead on a weekend in violence happy 90s Glasgow, my wait to be seen was only an hour- my first go at the Mater was 12. Girl next to me in a bridesmaids dress puking her ring onto the floor at her feet. No fucker cleaning it. For hours. Sister reports a two hour wait in Embra last year (and loads of folk giving out about it- they’d kill for that in Dublin)).
                                Either your sister was lucky or Scotland is a hell of a lot better than England and Wales on this. I've had to go to A&E twice in the last couple of years (both times on the orders of alarmed 111 doctors, I don't make a habit of just rocking up there) and the wait was 5 and 8 hours respectively.

Comment

At least the cabaret was good.

Comment

And I would second Nef on that Labour election broadcast, watched it after the local news last night.

Comment

It's genuinely affecting, but doesn't even in broad strokes suggest what Labour's solution is.

Comment

How about

• Rent controls, Secure tenancy, landlord licensing
                                        • 100,000 social rented homes per year
                                        • End right-to-buy
                                        • Scrap Bedroom Tax
                                        • No 'intentional homeless' young or single people
                                        • End buy-to-let tax breaks
                                        • Councils must plan for disabled housing needs

Comment

And nobody on less than £80k paying a penny more tax, apparently. This is why some of us think free university is a bad policy.

Best thing would be to increase LHA. It's been frozen for years, and was anyway at too low a percentile. I declare an interest here, but got to be a no brained, surely?

Comment

To be more positive, lots of those policies are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                              And nobody on less than £80k paying a penny more tax, apparently
                                              Naughty Tubbs, putting words in my mouth. Anyway and as you know I favor people paying more tax at much lower than 80k income levels- it's preferable to a casualised workforce paying little or nothing

Comment

I thought you were posting Labour policy, for some reason.

Your ideas and tax plans are fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                                  I thought you were posting Labour policy, for some reason.

Your ideas and tax plans are fine with me
                                                  Fear not- rumors of my defection have been exaggerated. I'm taking on the beaten Labour GE candidate here. Putting the Belle in Belle Vale

It's all go- 2 visits from Corbyn and a bonus Phil Hamond

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X