Abbott teeters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abbott teeters...

caja-dglh wrote: The leader was a bad man. But another man contested him for being leader and the bad man lost. Better still, the bad man missed out slightly on getting paid lots of gold each year for many years.

We have yet to find out if the new leader is a bad man, but we are confident he is better than the bad man he replaced.
    Thank you. What I don't understand is how the new leader was able to wake up one morning and decide he wanted to be leader and was by the end of the day. In our country, it takes 4 months to elect an opposition leader let alone a PM.

Comment

Abbott teeters...

I also don't understand the pun in the title. Something "eaters"?

Comment

Abbott teeters...

Bored, in AUS it is only a vote of the parlimentary party, and Abbott had already been subject to one such vote (which he won, largely because there wasn't a clear alternative). The challenge had obviously been planned for some time, but its execution can be much, much quicker, as the polling can be done in an hour.

Comment

Abbott teeters...

Bored of Education wrote:
          Originally posted by caja-dglh
          The leader was a bad man. But another man contested him for being leader and the bad man lost. Better still, the bad man missed out slightly on getting paid lots of gold each year for many years.

We have yet to find out if the new leader is a bad man, but we are confident he is better than the bad man he replaced.
          Thank you. What I don't understand is how the new leader was able to wake up one morning and decide he wanted to be leader and was by the end of the day. In our country, it takes 4 months to elect an opposition leader let alone a PM.
          It's not totally different from Thatcher's exit, is it? Albeit that mechanics of that took a week.

Comment

Abbott teeters...

They do seem to go a lot for this ice-cold House of Cards type shit in Australia. Take Ethan's point about Turnbull havig a very similar agenda with better presentation, but it's hard to regret that that cretin has got the boot.

Turnbull and Abbott, yesterday:

Comment

Abbott teeters...

No pun I'm afraid, couldn't think of one. I would welcome suggestions.

As for the brutality and swiftness, Abbott did the same to Turnbull when they were the opposition. And if PMs balance both public and party popularity they can last an age.

John Howard served four full terms over twelve years, March 96 to December 07. We arrived in 98 and i didn't know leadership "spills" existed until Gillard and Rudd started knifing each other.

I cannot deny, it's quite exciting.

Comment

Abbott teeters...

ursus arctos wrote: I can't wait for Aussie politicians to bring back defenestration.
                I don't know what that means, but does it involve the Challenger pooing on the Incumbent from a wooden platform, whilst the Senate looks-on, hungrily?

Comment

Abbott teeters...

Uncle Ethan wrote: Abbott departs with all the good grace that would be expected of him - none.

Turnbull today polls 56-44 as preferred Prime Minister against Bill Shorten - among LABOR voters. 70-24 across the board.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes people to realise that to gain the leadership Turnbull has committed to the same policies as Abbott on climate change and SSM.

He'll get the same agenda through, but with a smile instead of a snarl. In many ways far more dangerous than Abbott.

Shorten is, of course, a complete dud, but I can't see anyone else wanting the leadership against Turnbull.
                  Probably true, the wolf-in-sheeps-clothing thing, but after fuckin' years of being ruled by divisive cardboard cutouts with no agenda but to be top-dog, I can't help but feel good about this. I genuinely think Turnbull wants to make a difference - to leave his mark - by uniting the Centre. Fuck me, we need that.

He's an egomaniac, sure, they all are. He's a Lib, so y'know he'll be a free-market loon and all that, but he seems human and that my friends is the highest watermark Australian politics has seen for a looooooong time.

Comment

Abbott teeters...

Bored of Education wrote:
                    Originally posted by caja-dglh
                    The leader was a bad man. But another man contested him for being leader and the bad man lost. Better still, the bad man missed out slightly on getting paid lots of gold each year for many years.

Isn't it a Westminster thingy? Ie. youse could have the same thing happen. That's what Turnbull said when asked to explain to us drones how it's all legal and that.

Comment

Abbott teeters...

Not all Westminster systems allow the Parliamentary party to act alone in this respect.

Defenestration Illustrated

Comment

Abbott teeters...

So I wasn't far-off!

Comment

Abbott teeters...

From Private Eye's "Just Fancy That!", an occasional OTF series:

tee rex wrote: There's nothing like an Aussie "spill". None of this campaigning for months nonsense. Just wake up one morning as PM and go to bed, not.
                          Bored of Education wrote: What I don't understand is how the new leader was able to wake up one morning and decide he wanted to be leader and was by the end of the day. In our country, it takes 4 months to elect an opposition leader let alone a PM.
                          My thought control is so strong, it enters the brain and the victim doesn't even know it happened ...

Comment

Abbott teeters...

Posty Webber wrote:
                            He's an egomaniac, sure, they all are. He's a Lib, so y'know he'll be a free-market loon and all that, but he seems human and that my friends is the highest watermark Australian politics has seen for a looooooong time.
                            He is Centrist to the extent that he supposedly flirted with Labor (sic) before settling on the Liberals (sic). He also supported Labor's climate stance in 09, much to his own party's distress.

Comment

Abbott teeters...

tee rex wrote: From Private Eye's "Just Fancy That!", an occasional OTF series:

Originally posted by tee rex
                              There's nothing like an Aussie "spill". None of this campaigning for months nonsense. Just wake up one morning as PM and go to bed, not.
                              Bored of Education wrote: What I don't understand is how the new leader was able to wake up one morning and decide he wanted to be leader and was by the end of the day. In our country, it takes 4 months to elect an opposition leader let alone a PM.
                              My thought control is so strong, it enters the brain and the victim doesn't even know it happened ...
                              Ah, yeah, but mine was...ah, sod it.

Comment

Abbott teeters...

Did he make you say that?

Comment

Abbott teeters...

Ironically one of Kevin Rudd's last gifts to the party was a new electoral system for the leadership which takes involves the memberships but takes ages and still ends up with the parliamentary party having a virtual veto.

Abbott going is magnificent. Watching some of the RWNJ media crying about it is even better. Turnbull though has signed away his soul to get the Liberals' tea party wing and coalition partners the we're even loopier than the Tea Party wing, Nationals on side.

He has already doubled down on the current ridiculous direct action climate change "plan.

Labor won't win the next election now. The small hope is Turnbull will win a mandate in his own right and come back to the centre. In English terms though that means still to the right of Cameron on issues like SSM and climate change.

Comment

Working...
                                  X