Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, British drone strikes in Syria then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently British drones are being used to kill British people who have gone over to fight for the Islamic State. (One of the men killed was from Cardiff, the other from Aberdeen.)

Cameron says this is legal. Others saying it's not.

Is it possible for a recognised country e.g. the UK, to declare war on a group within a nation (or several nations) i.e. Islamic State? I really don't know what the international legalities of this sort of thing is.

Pretty sure drone strikes without declaring way are illegal, aren't they?

Just realised this is kind of being covered in the Labour Leader thread.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: Just realised this is kind of being covered in the Labour Leader thread.
      I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss it on its own merits, tbh.

Comment

According to media blogger Peter Jukes's timeline on the Twitters, Reyaad Khan was actually killed in July, not August. We know this because, er, the British papers all reported it at the time.

We're in full-on drumbeat for war mode aren't we?

Comment

I understood that the UK was opposed to the death penalty (and indeed, like all EU nations, vehemently so). Now we appear to have gone from that position to carrying out executions without trial in one fell swoop. There wasn;t even a wedge to have a thin end of here.

Comment

I think Cameron – as his utterly characteristic of him - is as usual looking at the smallest picture possible here: a chance for a bit of gung-ho posturing about Our Brave Boys just as Labour elects an anti-war leader.

It's a measure of the man.

Comment

The Media are reporting the fact that British drones are killing British people, but unless I'm missing something (and British intelligence is vastly better than I imagine it can possibly be) it's not JUST British people, is it? One of them was "travelling in a vehicle". So the drone was clever enough to work out what seat he was sat in and just take him out, was it?

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: I think Cameron – as his utterly characteristic of him - is as usual looking at the smallest picture possible here: a chance for a bit of gung-ho posturing about Our Brave Boys just as Labour elects an anti-war leader.
                "Our brave boys"? Our brave drones, surely.

Comment

So-called pre-emptive self-defence in international law is only justified when a nation is under imminent threat, defined as: "instant, overwhelming, and leaving no choice of means, and no moment for deliberation."

I'll leave it up to everyone else to judge whether this case fits here.

Comment

Nice to see The Sun calling for a blitz on Jihadis and 24 hours later...

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
                      Originally posted by E10 Rifle
                      I think Cameron – as his utterly characteristic of him - is as usual looking at the smallest picture possible here: a chance for a bit of gung-ho posturing about Our Brave Boys just as Labour elects an anti-war leader.
                      "Our brave boys"? Our brave drones, surely.

Comment

Comment

Raised.

(Via BBC)

Comment

Were they scumbags who deserved killing? Probably, although I likely don't know enough about them and the situation to absolutely make that judgement.

Was it legal? Given that the UK does not have the death sentence, and Parliament forbade military action in Syria... no.

Comment

indysleaze wrote: Were they scumbags who deserved killing? Probably, although I likely don't know enough about them and the situation to absolutely make that judgement.

Was it legal? Given that the UK does not have the death sentence, and Parliament forbade military action in Syria... no.
                              Don't be ridiculous.

Nobody "deserves" to be killed.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote: Raised.

(Via BBC)
                                The Queen seems happy about it though according to that front page.

Comment

Guy, some people definitely do deserve to be killed. I'm basically against it because of the impossibility of rectifying mistakes and I'd rather they were punished than being given an easier way out, amongst other things.

Comment

It was the fact that the Sun was doing the same thing 3 decades earlier I was pointing out really. It doesn't surprise me that there is appalling right wing headlines.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: It was the fact that the Sun was doing the same thing 3 decades earlier I was pointing out really. It doesn't surprise me that there is appalling right wing headlines.
                                      OK. It's a fair cop.

Comment

san2sboro wrote: Guy, some people definitely do deserve to be killed. I'm basically against it because of the impossibility of rectifying mistakes and I'd rather they were punished than being given an easier way out, amongst other things.
                                        Could we start a new thread on 'people who definitely do deserve to be killed' and whether the preferred method is 'obliterated by drone strike' or 'put to sleep'? I could do with some interesting reading to while away another afternoon in the office.

Not wanting to go back to the dark ages (it was dark in 1965), but even the barbarity of our death penalty was at least backed up by a judicial process, even if it was, on occasion, flawed.

Comment

Agreed. The whole thing is deeply dubious. We're not at war. I'd like to see details of the imminent threat that justified this. (Perhaps they had WMDs that could be deployed within 45 minutes, for example?)

Comment

And also, why is it being treated and announced as news when, seemingly, it isn't. It having already been announced as news in July? The cynical use of the media - and the media's own docile subservience - is almost as worrying

Comment

I am trying to work out the chronology of the events. What events were they supposed to be planning to blow up when they were killed - in self defence?

Comment

If we tell you that, we'll compromise our strategic assets, people's lives, damn you!

Anyway, put me in the camp that sheds no tears over a few fascist pricks but is very worried that elected politicians get to choose which of their fellow subjects they get to bump off without trial.

Comment

No sooner had I suggested (in jest) producing a list of people it was alright to obliterate by drone strike, David Cameron has drawn up a kill list for us.

Link's not showing up, but it's on the Independent's website, for reference.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X