Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jittery markets

Shares down etc. etc.

The oil price has now fallen so far that I'm hoping to get a "reward" of a gallon of petrol next time I buy a set of tumblers.

Jittery markets

Time to add another imaginary zero to the end of the Important Numbers then

Comment

Jittery markets

The last time the FTSE took a jolt like this was in June 2013, when it similarly dipped to about 6,000. But it was at around 5,800 for much of 2012, so the fact it had spiked up ahead of June 2013, and everything since where it's been touching 7,000, does suggest that all of that was one huge speculative bubble and this is a return to underlying levels. Contrary to what some tell you, the stock market doesn't "create" wealth. It just makes some lucky gamblers wealthy.

Comment

Jittery markets

The real crimnals are those trading in currency. I'd cheerfully entertain the notion of making exemptions for those fuckers in my otherwise principled opposition to capital punishment.

Comment

Jittery markets

Looks like the Dow is going to open down by at least 600 points.

Fun times

Comment

Jittery markets

I would argue you can't have a speculative bubble when a broad based index falls like this Rogin. Sector specific collapses sure, but this is more "we really screwed up on Chinese driven growth prospects".

Comment

Jittery markets

It's like nobody has questioned the logic of basing society upon an institution that's buoyed by the venal confidence of abhorrent Gordon Gekkos and severely weakened by Chinese whispers. Am I mad?

Comment

Jittery markets

So the Tories get their recession in nice and early in time for the recovery in the run up to 2020. Cameron is one of the great underestimated political strategists of our time.

Comment

Jittery markets

Kowalski wrote: It's like nobody has questioned the logic of basing society upon an institution that's buoyed by the venal confidence of abhorrent Gordon Gekkos and severely weakened by Chinese whispers. Am I mad?
                  Kowalski, There Is No Alternative.

Comment

Jittery markets

So Red China had a plan to bring down capitalism after all, huh.

Comment

Jittery markets

Comment

Jittery markets

So Red China had a plan to bring down capitalism after all, purple monkey dishwasher.

Comment

Jittery markets

Purple Monkey Dishwasher were egregiously overvalued. I really don't know what Whirlpool were thinking, but that's what happens when you give in to the herd mentality.

Comment

Jittery markets

China out of hand

Comment

Jittery markets

G-Man wrote: The real crimnals are those trading in currency. I'd cheerfully entertain the notion of making exemptions for those fuckers in my otherwise principled opposition to capital punishment.
                              Hey... I have bank accounts in two currency zones and have been known to dab in this.

The way I look at it, if the fuckers are going to do QE then I may as well be a step ahead of them.

Comment

Jittery markets

To a large extent, this is the result of China being let loose in a Bull Market.

Comment

Jittery markets

Very good.

What is going on now is profit taking. Loads of money was printed at low interest rates and handed over to the banks post-2008 real estate bubble burst. They ploughed the lot into a massive bubble in the stock market. The Dow Jones rose from 6600 to 18000 in the six years following the crisis. But because there hasn't actually been a real recovery, these stock price rises aren't actually based on improved economic performance.

1997-2000 was the tech bubble. 2003-2009 was a real estate bubble... 2009-2015 was a stock market bubble... The question is, where is the money going next? What bubble will the vultures flock to next? Obligations have already been snapped up (bubble there too) and are no longer returning much.

Comment

Jittery markets

Ha ha Ursus, that's a great gag my friends are going to think I made up.

Comment

Jittery markets

Nesta Arantes do Nascimento wrote: Ha ha Ursus, that's a great gag my friends are going to think I made up.
                                      Ditto.

Comment

Jittery markets

May a thousand flowers bloom.

Apple is up more than 15 percent from the open this morning.

Comment

Jittery markets

So the markets believe this is good news for their slaves?

Comment

Jittery markets

Sorry. Foolish of me. "The markets" love slavery

Comment

Jittery markets

And I'll tell you another thing for free, they hate uncertainty.

Comment

Jittery markets

Ursus wins the whole internet for that one.

Which by tomorrow will be worth about $5.

Comment

Jittery markets

Is there any chance this could fuck the SNP up?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X