Extracting a video clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extracting a video clip

Another techie question for those who know more about such things than I do.

Say I want to rip the footage out of a clip like this:

http://vbox7.com/play:m12d6e3f27

. . . and save it as an mp4 file, or even an flv. How would I go about it?

I tried googling "ripping from vbox7" (which appears to be eastern Europe's answer to YouTube – it's perfectly safe btw, have been dipping in and out of it for months and never got any viruses), but the sites don't seem to do the business for me. Is there a way I can do it manually on my own machine?

Am using Chrome on a Macbook btw.

Extracting a video clip

If you try the tool menu, then go "more tools", then "developer tools".

Click "resources", then have a look through the folder menus that show up on the left. If the file's embedded as an mp4 or flv already, you can usually get at it that way. Likewise if you're trying to get a picture that's right click-disabled.

Doesn't always work for streamed video, though, and I think there are programming workarounds that can be used to stop it. But it works at least some of the time.

Comment

Extracting a video clip

Have a root through the Chrome Web Store.

Comment

Extracting a video clip

Seems that the clip in the OP was actually hosted on Dailymotion:
        http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzu...B8%D1%8F_sport

Chrome isn't really my area of expertise (it's exactly for this kind of thing i.e. downloading video that I use Firefox - extensions are far less locked down) but it seems Fast Video Downloader will work with Dailymotion.

Comment

Extracting a video clip

Toro Toro wrote: If you try the tool menu, then go "more tools", then "developer tools".

Click "resources", then have a look through the folder menus that show up on the left. If the file's embedded as an mp4 or flv already, you can usually get at it that way. Likewise if you're trying to get a picture that's right click-disabled.

Doesn't always work for streamed video, though, and I think there are programming workarounds that can be used to stop it. But it works at least some of the time.
          Thanks. Can't find a damn thing resembling a video file in there though. I'll keep at it.

Stumpy – what should I be looking for?

Comment

Extracting a video clip

Three Times A Reddy wrote: Seems that the clip in the OP was actually hosted on Dailymotion:
            http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzu...B8%D1%8F_sport

Chrome isn't really my area of expertise (it's exactly for this kind of thing i.e. downloading video that I use Firefox - extensions are far less locked down) but it seems Fast Video Downloader will work with Dailymotion.
            Cheers. I'll try and rip it through that.

Comment

Extracting a video clip

Okay, I tried installing Firefox, and I then downloaded an add-on called 1-Click Dailymotion Downloader, which seemed self-explanatory enough. But although it adds a blue download button to the video clip, clicking on it results in absolutely nothing happening. I must be doing something badly wrong.

Comment

Extracting a video clip

Dailymotion's recently changed to an HTML5 player, you're gonna need this:

Video DownloadHelper

Seems to be the only extension so far that actually works with the new embedding. Play the clip for it to be detected then click the icon - don't be alarmed if it doesn't look like it's downloading, you'll get a notification in the bottom right hand corner once it's finished.

Just tried it now with that very clip and it gave me a 96 meg FLV file that played perfectly in VLC.

Comment

Extracting a video clip

Thanks – and presumably I do this in Firefox, not Chrome?

EDIT: looks to be working perfectly. Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X